Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ragged flannels--a hug to go. Great gifts!!

Love your quilts. thanks for sharing

I was making a rag quilt with one of the grandchildren some years ago, and showed her how to make an X in each square to keep it stable. She said, "wouldn't a heart do just as well?" She ended up with a quilt with lots of hearts and one X! The hearts weren't all the same, of course (they were all free-handed, or rather free-machined, done and just as quickly as the Xs) but the differences in the hearts added to the whole thing!

I just love the snuggly look of a rag quilt - your fall colors are to die for!! Can't wait to give this a try. Thank you for the great pics and tutorial!

All are beautiful. God bless you!

QM
    Those are perfect for the purpose. Quilts are certainly "hugs to go". I have had similar experiences and am certain of the healing power of quilts. It must be the love that goes into making them. Hurray for you and for those who get these quilts.

PS. one rag quilt square might be perfect in a backpack.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    Those are perfect for the purpose. Quilts are certainly "hugs to go". I have had similar experiences and am certain of the healing power of quilts. It must be the love that goes into making them. Hurray for you and for those who get these quilts.

PS. one rag quilt square might be perfect in a backpack.
    Hmm--I have a great class this year, and was considering making them each something--and wondered if a four square ragged flannel patch would be enough... it'd take a long time with 23 kids...so it'd have to be something small. I always do bookmarks... and one year did a black and white splash block for each (there was a story behind it)... but now I need to get ready for craft shows, so spend less time on students.

Quote Originally Posted by barnbum View Post
    Hmm--I have a great class this year, and was considering making them each something--and wondered if a four square ragged flannel patch would be enough... it'd take a long time with 23 kids...so it'd have to be something small. I always do bookmarks... and one year did a black and white splash block for each (there was a story behind it)... but now I need to get ready for craft shows, so spend less time on students.
    Your quilts look great.
    Serita

Any skip the batting and just make with two pieces of flannel? Or a third piece of flannel for batting?

Yobrosew - that would probably work (use flannel as batting or just skip that batting if using flannel for front and back). In the rag quilt class I just took the folks using minky for the back were not using batting.
    Proud owner of Pfaff Ambition 1.0. **AND** my new Pfaff Performance 5.0!

In the class I just took I used a Layer Cake and two Charm Packets, along with 3 yards of solid colored backing (some used flannel, minky, etc). Used the charm packets to make a 4 patch square (using 1/2" seam allowance, square will be 9"). Trimmed layer cakes to 9" squares. Batting is cut to 8" squares. Start sewing, alternating layer cake square, then the 4 patch square, again using 1/2" seam allowance. Mine came to 6 squares across and 7 squares down. Easy and oh so cute!
    Proud owner of Pfaff Ambition 1.0. **AND** my new Pfaff Performance 5.0!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast