Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Raggy Wagga...or take a bag of worn out clothes.....

After having a spring-clean of my wardrobe, I found myself with a big heap of worn out garments. Too worn to donate to charity I decided to set myself a little challenge. To make my pile into a quilt, without buying any fabric, thread or batting just my "pile". I also had some wool blend and cotton remnant pieces (one purple, one paisley) which have been hanging around, unused, for ages.

I also wanted this to be a practice/learning piece, so I added some Suffolk puffs (Yoyos) and some fabric flowers (new to me), I enjoy applique so I added a little sprinkle of that. I have never bound a quilt before (always pillow-cased them), so this quilt was bound. Made some useful discoveries: Suffolk puffs (Yoyos) and fabric flowers do survive washing and are "tougher" than you think, worn out wool jumpers/cardigans/pullovers put through a hot wash (this makes them shrink) can be cut up and used as batting...and best of all I am able to bind and I really enjoy the process. I even named, dated and signed using purple embroidery floss (something I usually put off).

It is named Raggy Wagga...a Wagga is an early Australian quilt made by country people and farm workers out of hessian sacks, skins, rags and anything else they could find...a Domestic Wagga is what you call a quilt made out of anything else...clothing, remnants, flour bags...just a little "finer" than a regular Wagga, generally used inside or roundabout a farm, rather than on the road or for sleeping out.

Hope the pics are ok...very low light today so had to go outside and hang the quilt on the loquat tree.

Raggy Wagga (front)
    Name:  Attachment-101031.jpe
Views: 609
Size:  125.0 KB

Raggy Wagga (back)
    Name:  Attachment-101032.jpe
Views: 611
Size:  121.5 KB

Fabric flower yoyo centre
    Name:  Attachment-101033.jpe
Views: 589
Size:  28.2 KB

Very ingenious! I have tote boxes full of clothes my kids have outgrown. I have something similar in mind. Nice!

Blog Entries
    How cool it that??? Love your attitude, ideas and finished Quilt....Raggy Wagga! So fun. Thanks for the inspiration!

Blog Entries
    Very nice challenge!

som
    Blog Entries
    i love your quilt

I love your addition of flowers. Great idea! I need to do something like this.

I love your Wagga! And it looks really warm and cozy!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    What a fantastic quilt!!! I love your idea too :D

Blog Entries
    You are an inspiration; you made a quilt the way women used -- out of previously used materials.

earthwalker, very nice! I've heard Cathy Miller (the singing quilter) and her song about wagga's, now I know what they are :) When Cathy came to our guild, she talked about visiting Australia ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast