Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Recovery Quilt >

Recovery Quilt

Recovery Quilt

Old 02-11-2017, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

Great quilt! The backing looks soft and cozy and I love the scalloped edges!
Old 02-11-2017, 08:40 AM
QM
Power Poster

You did a truly great job on this one, in every way. The scallops are perfect! I love the applique.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:28 AM

Had to google Nemishing as it's a new term for me. Similar idea to McTavishing....
Old 02-11-2017, 09:46 AM

Beautiful quilt and quilting!
Old 02-11-2017, 10:02 AM

beautiful quilt!! love the colors and the scallop edges....great job
Old 02-11-2017, 10:08 AM

beautiful quilt! i love blue & yellow together. very 'french country' in this quilts' appearance ..beautiful!!!
...but
what's 'nemishing' ...hmmm ..i don't think "Urban Dictionary" got it right ...
nemish
A person who is curious and inquisitive about the things around him...Greg - What is the black thing in your hand?
Trevor - Greg, Its a Bracelet. You know what you very nemish...

ok ..continue my search. oh ..bethany nemish ..longarm quilter of allentown PA. right? therefore ...'nemishing' must be like McTavishing but named after a different longarm quilter. but tho mctavishing is distinctive, i don't quite see what makes nemishing unique. help? TIA

Last edited by roguequilter; 02-11-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:36 AM

That's a beautiful quilt. Blue and yellow are one of my favorite color combinations.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
what's 'nemishing' ...

ok ..continue my search. oh ..bethany nemish ..longarm quilter of allentown PA. right? therefore ...'nemishing' must be like McTavishing but named after a different longarm quilter. but tho mctavishing is distinctive, i don't quite see what makes nemishing unique. help? TIA
Well, kinda. Bethanne adapted a quick quilting whimsical feather fill combining feathers with a big comma shaped unit (also called a puff top feather) and an occasional vine and the option of filling in with pebbles or little swirls or a combination. If you google images of nemishing you will see the similarity of the technique. Like handwriting, everyone who does it will look slightly different, like McTavishing. Although I have seen a lot of people call that random back fill McTavishing and it really isn't. Karen McTavish came up with the technique and was using it exclusively. When she first came up with it she called "comic book wonder woman hair" because she was inspired by the way Wonder Woman's hair was drawn in comics. It gained so much popularity that she started teaching it and wrote a book on it. She was told from many on line fans she needs to call it something else and I guess someone came up with McTavishing after her last name. I took a certification class with her and she told us the story about it.

Same with Bethanne Nemish's "Nemishing". She teaches the technique and self published a book on it. Because she needed an easy catch name she chose Nemishing, playing on McTavishing. Bethanne lives in the heart of Pennsylvania dutch country and when she first showed it to her local Amish shop and told them what she called it, the proprietress of the shop said Meshing means Machine and Nem means to sew so it seemed quite an apt name to the Amish. I attended a lecture of Bethanne's and she told this story. Fun.

EmiliasNana, you did a fabulous job on this quilt.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Well, kinda. Bethanne adapted a quick quilting whimsical feather fill combining feathers with a big comma shaped unit (also called a puff top feather) and an occasional vine and the option of filling in with pebbles or little swirls or a combination. If you google images of nemishing you will see the similarity of the technique. Like handwriting, everyone who does it will look slightly different, like McTavishing. Although I have seen a lot of people call that random back fill McTavishing and it really isn't. Karen McTavish came up with the technique and was using it exclusively. When she first came up with it she called "comic book wonder woman hair" because she was inspired by the way Wonder Woman's hair was drawn in comics. It gained so much popularity that she started teaching it and wrote a book on it. She was told from many on line fans she needs to call it something else and I guess someone came up with McTavishing after her last name. I took a certification class with her and she told us the story about it.

Same with Bethanne Nemish's "Nemishing". She teaches the technique and self published a book on it. Because she needed an easy catch name she chose Nemishing, playing on McTavishing. Bethanne lives in the heart of Pennsylvania dutch country and when she first showed it to her local Amish shop and told them what she called it, the proprietress of the shop said Meshing means Machine and Nem means to sew so it seemed quite an apt name to the Amish. I attended a lecture of Bethanne's and she told this story. Fun.

EmiliasNana, you did a fabulous job on this quilt.
thank you!!! i have been a McTavish fan for years and have all of her books. and familiar with the back story. i haven't used her technique in machine quilting, but have in hand quilting ..well, she said we could! lol ..but i think what makes her machined McTavishing so wonderful is the backtracking and the resultant emphasizing of some areas of the pattern. something that one doesn't do with handquilting. and tho the handquilting of her patterns is wonderful, it's not as spectacular as the work done with machine. i have seen quite a few quilts of late that have added the scrolls to the feather, in fact i have a book called 'wonderful feathers' or something like that, that also teaches adding scrolls etc to the feathers. very similar to the more ornate style of patterns available on bethannes website, which i found while searching. again, thank you so much for your very enlightening & complete explanation.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

very nice job pretty colors!!