When I first started quilting I joined an online quilting bee. I made great friends with these ladies and still keep in touch with some of them.
Unfortunately I hadn't yet found my fabric niche yet. It's still evolving (lately I'm into shabby chic as shown in my January NewFO post). But back then I chose fabrics that I was more familiar with...sort of old fashioned, prairie style.
And since it was my first quilting bee I didn't want others overwhelmed so chose an easy block, the D9P.
I received all my blocks back and there they sat...for 3 years!!!!
I was on such a roll with my new start (the Sakura Park 9 patch) that I felt willing and able to pull out a UFO and work on it. I chose the D9Ps. Unfortunately 2 weren't well sewn and pretty much came apart in my hands. Not upsetting though, I can use the scraps in my scrap bin. I was left with 8 workable squares and I didn't know what I wanted to do with them so I just sewed them together.
I left them up all night on my design wall to allow my brain to ponder. I started out thinking maybe a table runner.
When I woke up and looked at though I thought, I hate these fabrics I don't want them on my table. Then I was torn...here I was not liking it one bit but I didn't want to waste the fabric.
I was chatting with my sister on the phone when she mentioned she needed something for the backseat of her car for her dog.
Ding ding ding!!! My D9P was destined to become a dog quilt!!!
So I went through my bin and found the extra charm square pieces left over. Along with some brown I found I was able to make the quilt top bigger...big enough for a Yellow Lab to get comfy on!
Well the sewing Gods must have been with me, but I pieced the top, found some flannel for the backing in my stash, and then quilted it all up! Wahoo!!! It's all done except for the binding.
Coincidentally it's Bailey's birthday in a couple of weeks...he'll be 8 I think it is. Definitely time he had his own quilt.