Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: smaller quilt from larger pattern - oops

smaller quilt from larger pattern - oops

I'm wanting to make a small quilt - 36X45 or so - for a friend who is on the last step for approval as a foster home. My thought is to have a quilt for each child who comes to her. I'm using patterns, sizes, etc that I used when making Quilts for Kids.

My thought on this one was to make rails. Had a pattern that used rails to make windmills, but it calls for 6X8 placement of blocks with 3 borders - too big. Not only do I want the quilts to be comparable sizes, but I want to use 3 yards and have backing and all to cut down on costs.

Problem - the size I want does not allow the windmill pattern to complete. I can have smaller borders on the side - pics 1 and 2 or I can just not finish the windmill pattern. Note that the light fabrics make windmills as well as the blue ones.

Thoughts? Give up and just alternate the rails? I tend to obcess about such things and just want to sew it already! I have a girl one made that's just 4 patches alternating with solid focus blocks and know I will use that pattern a lot. This fabric just seemed to call for something else.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    So many quilts, so little time.

Blog Entries
    It would bug me to have 1/2 a windmill too. I'd either eliminate one of the borders or make them narrower to accommodate the extra blocks to complete your windmills.

Next time, you could make your blocks smaller.

If it bothers you maybe just put 4 blocks across, 6 down and add an extra border? The blue stands out the most and the light seems like background.
    Donna

I think I'm going to make it square - 6 X 6 blocks - with one less border. Ought to be close to the same size as the others I'll be making.

Thanks for your help!

Very nice.

I'm a foster mom and all the kids i've gotten needed a quilt larger than 35 x 45, i've always had "older kids" 8 on up than babies. Getting a hand made quilt will be something they will prize. I'd make the quilt a little larger to be able to finish off the block (jmho) your doing something very nice, thank you 4 thinking of the kids, so often no one has for a long time.
    Cindy

The family I'm helping will be hosting 2 - 6 year olds. I was going by the Quilts for Kids idea that they are "cuddle" quilts for the older ones. As this evolves I'll know more what's needed. Those QFK patterns can make an entire quilt - borders and backing included - with 3 yards and that's also a consideration. I thought I'd be making them using those standards, but already I'm ending up with a larger quilt because of this pattern issue so that may continue to be true. I was also thinking of something small and portable for when they're relocating. Is this an issue at all?

My children are both adopted and spent their first few precious weeks in foster homes. I've hunting for a place to put my joy of quilting and this seems a good fit. Thanks for your input and for blessing the children who have been in your care.

Blog Entries
    Why not try to lay out the windmills (whirlygigs) to the outside and place a coordiating piece in the center. I used a similar pattern recently.

Jennoh2 - that's a good idea. I've already assembled this top using the existing pattern, but I did make it a bit shorter - it's square instead of rectangular. I'll keep that in mind for the next time I get in this bind!

I love the colors. I hope you will complete it.
    DEB CAVAN

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast