Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Some projects that are nearly finished >

Some projects that are nearly finished

Some projects that are nearly finished

Old 03-10-2008, 06:35 PM

OK... here it is, quick and easy!

First, select your fabrics (of course!) :)

From your focus fabric, cut 6" blocks (later called "bricks"). How many depends entirely on how big your quilt will be.

Next, cut the 5 "stick" fabrics into strips 1.25" x width of fabric. Lay them out and determine which order you want them to be in. Keep in mind that the outer 2 will "box in" your focus fabric, and the center strip will kind of make extra boxes as well. Once you have determined the order of your strips (aka "sticks"), sew them together in that order, using a generous 1/4" seam allowance. When all your sticks have been assembled, cut them into 6" blocks (you may need to trim the sides as well as cutting the ends, depending on how generous your seam allowances are).

Now, lay out your quilt, alternating your sticks and bricks. I suggest starting with a brick, then a stick, etc. across the width of your quilt. Note the outer edges of your sticks against the brick. Each brick should have the same fabric on both sides. Using my bird quilt above as an example (working toward the wall in the picture), note that I have a brick, then a stick with the blue strip against the brick. Next, there is a brick, followed by a stick with the red against the brick, etc.

For the second row, start with a stick (in my example, it is blue strip UP), then a brick, then a stick (red strip up), etc.

I have found that I prefer to use either one of the inner strip fabrics, or a completely different (but complementary) fabric for the border, rather than using one of the same fabrics as already directly frames your bricks (in my example, I used the golden Fairy Frost, rather than either red or blue). HOWEVER, this is YOUR project, and you have different likes, will use different fabrics, etc. Play around, have fun, and POST YOUR WORK!! :wink: 8) :-) :!:

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know. I tried to make this clear, but I am sometimes "clear as mud".
Old 03-11-2008, 06:05 AM

This is fantastic! I will post when complete! Thank you so much for sharing!

Renae :D
Old 03-11-2008, 07:22 AM

wowowwwwwww...They are so beautifullllI love the birds....gives you such a graden feeling.....Great idea..great job...congratulation...I love it :D
Old 03-12-2008, 12:02 PM

I loved your 2 lap quilts, I saved a pic of them to my computer.....I really like the bird print fabric. I think it would be nice to look at the bird lap quilt during the winter months and think of spring coming soon.
Good job on both of them and thanks for the instructions too.
I think I will use your pattern on a baby quilt that I need to get done.
My fabric is red with teddy bears on it....primary colors would look good in this pattern.
Now you really have me thinking! Happy stitching...
Lil Red :D
Old 03-12-2008, 05:05 PM

Thanks everyone! Just make sure to post pic's so we can all admire your work too! :)
Old 03-12-2008, 10:48 PM

They are beautiful! I especially love the second one!
Old 03-13-2008, 06:30 AM

CNolan:
I love your quilts but especially the flower one. Thanks for the directions. I think I can see this pattern in a quilt in my future. Great job and thanks for sharing.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:48 AM

I love the fabric in the second quilt, I bought some of the flower fabric and made a shower curtain, then made a valance with one of the other fabrics.
lakelily