Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: SpiderMaid - a long time coming

SpiderMaid - a long time coming

Just finished this one, I've been working on it off and on for about a year - as usual other projects came along that HAD to be done. It started on a whim. A planned visit to a sister and we decided to do something scrappy, so I brought a couple boxes of scraps and combined with hers we had plenty to work with. I developed a pattern and printed us paper piecing patterns using pads of kids drawing paper. The paper worked quite nicely. She made a quilt for her dogs and I just kept piecing. It finished up at 80 X 92 and I think I'm going to use it in my own room. It's gotten chilly here in NC. I include a closeup of the binding, using a technique developed by my sister (Cathedral Window Rolled Binding by dilyn on this board), it's the first chance I've had to try it. I am quite pleased with the way it looks and no hand work.

It's a busy quilt so I kept the quilting simple, spider webbing in the paper pieced webs, a large stylized foral inthe black areas and a meander on the borders. I liked the flower on the black areas but wasn't crazy about the thread buildup at the center and was contemplating an applique when I happened to find the embossed felt buttons. I thought they added a nice touch of color to the black areas and distract eyes away from some of wonky petals. I washed and dried a couple of the buttons and no problems at all still look good. One of my webs looked a little off, one fabric didn't have enought contrast and just blended with the black so I added an honorary resident and it gives the illusion of that dark fabric being a print. I used a light fabric for the backing, kept to the floral/insect theme; can't wait to use those leftovers in another project.

I enjoyed making it but am glad it's finished. It's fun looking at all the different fabrics and remebering what else they've been used in. Thanks for looking

Karen Jane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spidey.png   spideyondeck.png   closeupbinding.png   flowercloseup.png   newresident.jpg  

back.png  

It is absolutely beautiful. Nice job, great embellishments, great quilting. I am envious of all your talent. It is lovely.

Beautiful quilt! You were so creative with your quilting and your buttons etc. Great job & you should be very happy with it!

spectacular finish! The quilt just sparkles. I love it.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    What a lot of hours went into this one its AWESOME!!

Blog Entries
    wow... love the colour...
    no wonder it took a long time coming

Fabulous. I am currently working on and off one pretty much the same. I hope it ends up looking like yours.

Blog Entries
    nicely done
    Nancy in western NY

Power Poster
    beautiful like how you did the border very good job!!!!!
    QUILTNMO

Blog Entries
    Oh, I LOVE that. I think this one is going into my idea file...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast