Just finished this one, I've been working on it off and on for about a year - as usual other projects came along that HAD to be done. It started on a whim. A planned visit to a sister and we decided to do something scrappy, so I brought a couple boxes of scraps and combined with hers we had plenty to work with. I developed a pattern and printed us paper piecing patterns using pads of kids drawing paper. The paper worked quite nicely. She made a quilt for her dogs and I just kept piecing. It finished up at 80 X 92 and I think I'm going to use it in my own room. It's gotten chilly here in NC. I include a closeup of the binding, using a technique developed by my sister (Cathedral Window Rolled Binding by dilyn on this board), it's the first chance I've had to try it. I am quite pleased with the way it looks and no hand work.
It's a busy quilt so I kept the quilting simple, spider webbing in the paper pieced webs, a large stylized foral inthe black areas and a meander on the borders. I liked the flower on the black areas but wasn't crazy about the thread buildup at the center and was contemplating an applique when I happened to find the embossed felt buttons. I thought they added a nice touch of color to the black areas and distract eyes away from some of wonky petals. I washed and dried a couple of the buttons and no problems at all still look good. One of my webs looked a little off, one fabric didn't have enought contrast and just blended with the black so I added an honorary resident and it gives the illusion of that dark fabric being a print. I used a light fabric for the backing, kept to the floral/insect theme; can't wait to use those leftovers in another project.
I enjoyed making it but am glad it's finished. It's fun looking at all the different fabrics and remebering what else they've been used in. Thanks for looking