I sponge dyed the background with Rit dye leaving light spots for the places that I wanted to paint. Because the fabric was wet I knew dye would migrate a little into the area that was not dyed for a soft edge. The sea sponge really got a nice texture with the Rit dye. It would make a good blender fabric. I used the microwave to set the Rit . I had never heard of using a sponge and Rit dye before and was very pleased with results.
Then I took Renae's mini rays and did the design going from a circle to an 8 sided border just as I had made when I dyed the fabric. I painted it with fabric paint you can get at JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, Michael's etc. The rose pattern is actually a Dover publication embroidery pattern blown up. Then I quilted the dyed portion with green thread and the undyed portion with grey thread. The green portion has feathers and the lighter has a feather meandering. Can you tell I love feathers.
This is my second project with the Renae's rays and I want to duplicate this design. I have leaves stamped using real leaves on one ready to quilt.