Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Star quilt that needs help >

Star quilt that needs help

Star quilt that needs help

Old 01-03-2011, 03:29 PM

This star quilt being held up by my daughter - although all you can see of her is red hair and some feet. She is being gracious enough to be my design wall for me today.

I really like this quilt - but the problem is, it's not the right size. It needs to be a bit bigger (like 4 to 6 inches on each side) to be a good throw size. I just don't have a wall for it to be a wallhanging.

If this was your quilt what would you do to it? I have small amount of the fabrics left, but not enough to do another border. And I'm was worried about adding more borders and it getting wonky. Help! I just am stuck!

Any ideas? Thanks for any suggestions.

watercolor star quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152830[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-152825.jpe  
Old 01-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Cyn

Beautiful! I can't imagine changing it.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:34 PM

That is so very beautiful do not change it.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

I would get a different fabric (probably dark blue) and add wide borders all around. Could do some fancy quilting in the wide borders, and I think it would frame everything else. An alternative to a solid dark border would be a printed fabric that has a mixture of colors that coordinate with the colors already in the quilt.

It won't get wonky if you pre-cut your borders to size. Measure through the middle and use that measurement to cut your border. Before sewing, match middle of border to middle of quilt, match quarters, etc. When you sew, if you have a little excess border between pins, ease it in. If you have a little excess quilt between pins, ease that in.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:35 PM

I have plenty of wall space for it. Like my address? If you really need to enlarge it, treat it as a medallion center and do other star block rounds. You fabric should coordinate but doesn't have to be an exact match. I agree with Cyn, though. It's gorgeous just as it is.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:36 PM

It is beautiful as is. I'd recommend a piano key border all the way around and then bind it in the darkest fabric.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:39 PM

I love it just the way it is, too. It looks just the right size for your red-headed, bare-footed design wall to snuggle up with while reading a good book or watching tv. She would probably love to use it knowing we all think it is beautiful and that you made it.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by liwilliams
This star quilt being held up by my daughter - although all you can see of her is red hair and some feet. She is being gracious enough to be my design wall for me today.

I really like this quilt - but the problem is, it's not the right size. It needs to be a bit bigger (like 4 to 6 inches on each side) to be a good throw size. I just don't have a wall for it to be a wallhanging.

If this was your quilt what would you do to it? I have small amount of the fabrics left, but not enough to do another border. And I'm was worried about adding more borders and it getting wonky. Help! I just am stuck!

Any ideas? Thanks for any suggestions.
No problem. But you may not like the panacea.

You need to unwonk the 4 corners to make your quilt flat enough to quilt.

When you know you are going to add more borders, you need to use a square up ruler. If you can't afford a 12 or 15-inch quilter's square, see if your husband has an L-square out in the garage. If not, ask one of your friends who is an engineer or in the construction business if you can use his Large L-square or T-square. Be sure to return it the next day if possible. Engineers and Construction folks need those squares every single day to ensure their work is not wonky, too.

The easiest way is to use the quilt square.

Open up the worst wonky wannabe 90-degree corner down to the first one. Rip out 6 inches on the top and 6 inches on the side of the angle. You will need a good two millimeter (very small) ripper to get under machine stitches.

Place the square or L-square on the edge. Is it 90-degrees? If it is greater than 90 degrees, cut it down until it is 90 degrees if you can do so without wiping out the aesthetics of your block underneath. If you are using the L-square, use a pencil to mark new cutting lines for your 90-degree corner.

After trimming, resew the first border.

Place the L-square or quilter's square on the new border. Ask yourself the same question--is it 90 degrees? Repeat the process out to the final border.

You should have a perfectly beautiful, unwonked corner.

Repeat 3 times on the other 3 corners of your quilt, down to the offending first area that is wonky. Then go
step by step and border by border to the outside.

When all 4 corners are squared from the first offending non-90-degree corner, add your next border. This time, square the border when it is done. I like to end my quilts with at least one long border, even if it's as narrow as 1.5 inches on the outside as the last border to stabilize the quilt for binding.

Voila. You have the neatest, unwonkiest, flattest quilt this side of the Mississippi. Yours also happens to be quite pretty.

:mrgreen:
Old 01-03-2011, 03:54 PM

Just a thought... The white wall behind your quilt simulates a white border. In my opinion a white border would look beautiful without being distracting. Happy Quilting.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:06 PM

I'd find a matching fabric for a larger outside border. As mentioned above, a white background fabric would look nice.