Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
The start of my Back to Nature journey-blocks 1 and 2 >

The start of my Back to Nature journey-blocks 1 and 2

The start of my Back to Nature journey-blocks 1 and 2

Old 12-24-2011, 06:05 AM

Default The start of my Back to Nature journey-blocks 1 and 2

I can't post this on facebook yet because my d-i-l will see it. She knows all about it--picked the pattern and the fabrics, but she doesn't know I've started it. I wrapped these two blocks for her and put them under the tree. I'll just need them back for a bit before she can take them home. :-)

After making so many projects with strips, I'm glad to see my piecing is good! I'm tickled at how well the points came out.

The background as emailed to sandpat:
The pattern is Back to Nature--I attached a photo. I fell in love with it last year and bought the $20 pattern and started collecting Modas for it. I didn't have motivation to get started because I don't need another quilt and I didn't think it'd sell for a decent price. Then when I put a quilt on my bed that actually covers it well, I asked my d-i-l if she had one that covered their bed--she and Justin have many of my quilts, but not one that big. So--I told her I'd make her a king. We were looking for patterns she liked--and marking possibilities, when I remembered this one. I showed her the pattern first and she loved it. Yay. Then I showed her the fabric I had collected and she loved those too! So--we went through it and she selected what fabrics she wanted for each of the color recommendations (I had collected more than is needed so she had plenty of choice) and then she waited patiently for me to have time to start--due to the craft show and the Stepping Stones quilt--she knew it'd be awhile but didn't care. No deadline--my favorite way to work. :-)

There are 11 fabrics in our selection--but the pattern calls for 13. One is a border we won't use, and #13 called for 1/4 yard to fussy cut some centers. I decided to use the fabric from #1-11 instead for those pieces. Block #2 below has a center I switched--I tried three possibilities and though that looked best.
Attached Thumbnails 007.jpg   004.jpg   005.jpg   006.jpg  
Old 12-24-2011, 06:10 AM

WOW!!!! Those are really gorgeous! What a showstopper quilt that's going to be. Your d-i-l is a lucky woman. Sounds like you two have a really warm and loving relationship.

Merry Christmas! I'm going to go check out your Facebook page.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:13 AM

How pretty. I love the colors you chose. You're doing a great job on it.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

She will be thrilled !
Old 12-24-2011, 06:18 AM

Your version is going to be fabulous! My best quilt buddy has completed this & mine is still WIP ... Since my long rows of flying geese are too long. Maybe it will be complete in 2012
Old 12-24-2011, 06:21 AM

WOW - Just beautiful, great job
Have a Blessed Christmas and New Year
Ellen
Old 12-24-2011, 06:26 AM

She is going to love it. Forgive me if I am wrong, but is the top right corner of the second block correct? It looks wrong in the picture.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by fayzer View Post
She is going to love it. Forgive me if I am wrong, but is the top right corner of the second block correct? It looks wrong in the picture.
Aaaah! Thank you for catching that! How the heck did I miss it??? I'll go fix it right now! Thank you!!!
Old 12-24-2011, 06:57 AM

All fixed! They are back under the tree. lol I'm so glad that was caught. I know exactly what happened--in the previous block I was flipping sections onto each other sideways to sew--but in this one I flipped them up or down before sewing. Well--one can't flip sideways on one and up on another. Good grief. BUT--NOW I'll be paying closer attention so that's a good thing!
Attached Thumbnails fixed-2.jpg   fixed.jpg  

Last edited by barnbum; 12-24-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by JenelTX View Post
WOW!!!! Those are really gorgeous! What a showstopper quilt that's going to be. Your d-i-l is a lucky woman. Sounds like you two have a really warm and loving relationship.

Merry Christmas! I'm going to go check out your Facebook page.
I feel very blessed to have Jenny for a daughter. My son could not have picked a more perfect person to share his life with. My daughter picked a wonderful man too--so Mark and I feel so pleased. I've been praying for my kids' spouses since they were babies... looks like it worked!

Thanks for liking my fb page! It's up to 43 likes!