Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Study in Blue. Flowers.

Study in Blue. Flowers.

The name of this quilt is “Study in Blue. Flowers.” I made the quilt for my daughter who requested a large blue quilt. (And large means I don't have a full-size photo.)
    • The quilt top pattern is "Ice Cream" from Kaffe Fassett’s Quilt Romance. The fabrics all contain blue flowers and were not pre-washed as I wanted the crinkly antiquey effect from washing after quilting. The quilt was long-arm quilted in a gingko pattern.
    • As DD wanted a large quilt, I constructed side borders by building out strips in the same widths as the quilt pattern. The bottom/top started from a center width strip of 5” x 36”; the right/left started from a 9”x 24” center width center strip. When I was finished adding strips, I cut both 36” and 24” border strips in half. Maybe the second photo has a thousand more words . The finished top and bottom borders added 20” to the length, and the sides added 16" to the width.
    • The four corners were constructed by building out from a single 5.5” x 9.5” rectangle using the same strip widths from the quilt pattern center. When the rectangle was about 24”x 36”, I quartered it. The additional 0.5” to the starting rectangle was to account for the additional seam allowances for quartering.
    • My quilting expert buddy bound the quilt on a train trip out west. How kewl is that? Perfect.
    • Same quilting buddy warned me about stripping a log cabin type pattern. Measure and cut the strip length before sewing. So I cavalierly applied strips, cut off the excess after, and then discovered the waves. Fortunately, Patched Works – the long arm quilter – quilted them out. Yeah!

Finally, this was a fun quilt to construct! And thank you for looking! As always, the Quilting Board rocks!
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Kate

Beautiful quilt! You did a wonderful job on it! I'm sure she loves it!

Senior Member craftygal63@yahoo.com's Avatar
    Just WoW! Great Quilt!!!!

Power Poster
    It's blue-ti-ful!

Beautiful work!!!!

Blog Entries
    A very unique way to build a quilt. I can see it as a great scrap buster and much more interesting than the 2 1/2" strip quilts one sees.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

It's a simple pattern however it's the choice and placement of fabrics that makes it awesome. Beautiful work.

Blog Entries
    very nicely done
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

nice job!!!!!!!!!

Love the colors and the idea.
    Make A Good Day!
    Janice P. Roy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast