Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-shirt quilt - rectangles?

T-shirt quilt - rectangles?

This is my first t-shirt quilt. I went to a class at a quilt shop and the template we used was 14 X 18. I had only imagined square blocks so this surprised me. I liked it for the most part because several of the graphics would not have fit in a square template. For those that had too much blank space at the bottom I took a graphic from another shirt and appliqued it on the block. I also put the label on the front to fill in the gap on one of the blocks. The owner of this quilt really liked that.

I used Quilter's Dream Poly for the batting. This requires stitching only every 12 inches. I hoped to keep the graphics more readable that way. I'm not sure I like the way the blocks look with this sparseness, but ... it is what it is!

I used a pellon featherweight stabilizer. It did not stay fused to the shirt as I thought it would. Is that true for most of these products? Because of the rectangular template I ended up with a quilt top that was too narrow for its length. So ... I adjusted the borders and sashing to compensate for that. The quilt ended up 60 X 80 overall.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image 
    Last edited by JanTx; 06-20-2013 at 05:34 PM.
    So many quilts, so little time.

yel
    Blog Entries
    if shirt have to much fabric softener in them that iron on stuff [most all of it ]won't stick

Very nice. I like the size of the blocks. But it could depend on the size of the tshirts. I usually use my 12 1/2 x 12 1/2 ruler to cut the interfacing and then press it on to the back of the t shirt design. I don't think I have seen the batting you mentioned. I would like it especially for these t shirt quilts. Good work.

I really like your quilt. T-shirt quilts are so unique to the person you are making it for.

I was told not to use fabric softner when washing the t-shirts because it won't stick. Did not think twice about using dryer sheets - they also caused the t-shirts not to stick to the pellon. Had to rewash all the t-shirts.

That may have been it - these were much loved, much worn shirts. I didn't wash them - the owner did - didn't think to ask about softener. So .. the consensus for next time is - wash no matter how they arrive - with no dryer sheet or other softener.

I got the batting from the quilt shop. I usually use Hobbs 80/20 and get it on sale from Connecting Threads. The quilt shop batting was only about $2 more for the throw size so definitely worth it for this type quilt.

It came out great!
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Wow, it turned out terrific!!!!!!!!

Beautiful tee shirt quilt! Congratulations!
    One step at a time, always forward.

You did a nice job. I'm hoping my daughter is saving all her kids tshirts so I can do this for them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast