Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Tangled Star and another handpainted border!!

After doing one block of this Tangled Star, I decided not to go any further and turned it into a mini. I'll include my pattern for you. If you make this block, the diagonals are done separately and then joined together. Piecing needs to be done precisely and I like it better done in 3 colors than scrappy like I did. I realized I didn't make the pattern right because when I finished, there was no room to add borders so I had to sew on the edge. LOL. I HQ it and the back was turned to the front for the binding.

I handpainted this Rose Trellis border at the same time I marbelized the fabrics for my last mini, Spiky Poppies. I found an orphan block that will look great with this border. The border I painted the entire 22" length so I'll be able to use bits of it for another mini border! I haven't painted the fine details of the roses yet, but just may leave it as is since the scale needs to be right for the mini. I really am having fun with the painting part and it's a nice change to do a border first and then pick out a block or design a mini from it. Hope you like my projects. Tangled Star is also known as Birthday Star. I'll include a picture of the block for you to see how it looks in 3 colors. Can't remember where I found this. Thanks for looking! :-D

close up
    Name:  Attachment-95451.jpe
Views: 366
Size:  75.2 KB

here's more of the strip showing my color wash
    Name:  Attachment-95505.jpe
Views: 378
Size:  53.1 KB

Tangled Star mini
    Name:  Attachment-95535.jpe
Views: 470
Size:  36.8 KB

here it is on point
    Name:  Attachment-95536.jpe
Views: 353
Size:  64.1 KB

here's the block shown in 3 colors
    Name:  Attachment-95537.jpe
Views: 799
Size:  29.7 KB

here's my pattern
    Name:  Attachment-95949.jpe
Views: 381
Size:  24.9 KB

handpainted Rose Trellis border I'll use w/this pinwheel block
    Name:  Attachment-96245.jpe
Views: 334
Size:  49.2 KB

Blog Entries
    n2, you know we really have to show our "oh oh's" One really misses the interlocking effect as shown with the 3 colors. Love how you experiment with paint, especially from someone only uses paint for her walls! Thanks for sharing. G

Your Tangled Star block shows how versatile the pattern is--scrappy or organized colorwise. It is pretty both ways. I love your fabric painting. I've never done any and maybe someday I'll get brave enough to try it.

What a cool pattern. I like your scrappy effect and that border is awesome.

Thank you, Patty, Nigh and G for your nice compliments!!! ;) :D :D :D

This is very clever - thanks now i know how to adapt a pattern to suit myself. Lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddly Quilter
    This is very clever - thanks now i know how to adapt a pattern to suit myself. Lovely
    Thank you, Cuddly Quilter!! It's so sweet of you to say!! ;-) :D :D :D

So clever!! Although you do lose the three dimensional effect, I really like the scrappy one. thanks for posting, I'm going to have a go at this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marion T
    So clever!! Although you do lose the three dimensional effect, I really like the scrappy one. thanks for posting, I'm going to have a go at this.
    We can't wait to see your version! Bet it will be beautiful done in all scrappy! It is a neat pattern and the effects can be dramatic! Be sure and post pics when done and your very welcome! :-D :-D :wink: