Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me what I did wrong here

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I made this 6 sided star, I really like it. It is the first one I have ever made.
    The problem I have is the center points are not there or is it suppose to be this way.
    I do not have a pattern to follow I just sat down and decided to give it a try.
    Please tell me how to fix this so that next time I make one it will be right.

SORRY I SHOWED THE WRONG PICTURE. NOW I CAN'T FIND IT. I WILL POST IT AS SOON AS I FIND IT.

Some days the lights are on but no one is home!!!! I got it loaded now.
    I very precisly cut the diamonds and used 1/4in seam but I still managed to mess it up.

Before it was sewed
    Name:  Attachment-164061.jpe
Views: 27
Size:  36.8 KB

after sewing it
    Name:  Attachment-164062.jpe
Views: 24
Size:  29.7 KB

I think I am confused. Is this the layout before sewing? Order of assembly is important, I know. Accurate cutting is also critical, but more than that I don't know. I haven't had the courage to try one.

Just saw your additional comment. Looking forward to seeing the photo.

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    well... we've had the disappearing four patch, the disappearing nine patch, the disappearing pinwheel four patch, and now... the disappearing six-sided star. lol... couldn't resist. Thanks for the giggle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewTinker
    well... we've had the disappearing four patch, the disappearing nine patch, the disappearing pinwheel four patch, and now... the disappearing six-sided star. lol... couldn't resist. Thanks for the giggle.
    LMBO!!!

Well, without being able to see it in person......from the 1st photo it *looks* like they are cut correctly. But in the second photo, with as much of the center point missing as there is, I suspect that your seam is more than a 1/4 inch (and/or that you got a pleat when you pressed?). When I first started quilting, I *assumed* that my presser foot was a 1/4 inch. Guess what??? - it wasn't! Have you tested your 1/4 inch seams? I have a tute on my website that shows you how:
    http://www.andicraftsquilting.com/learn.htm

I think you forgot to add 1/4 inch seam allows

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiR
    Well, without being able to see it in person......from the 1st photo it *looks* like they are cut correctly. But in the second photo, with as much of the center point missing as there is, I suspect that your seam is more than a 1/4 inch (and/or that you got a pleat when you pressed?). When I first started quilting, I *assumed* that my presser foot was a 1/4 inch. Guess what??? - it wasn't! Have you tested your 1/4 inch seams? I have a tute on my website that shows you how:
    http://www.andicraftsquilting.com/learn.htm
    I have my machine marked with masking tape at the 1/4 mark so all I have to do is butt the fabric against the tape and it stays even.

Hmmm, is it possible your needle position got moved accidentally? If I could see it in person I could probably help figure it out. But KY is kinda far from SD....oh, but is it warmed than 6 below zero there??? Maybe I could make a quick trip and stay until the spring thaw!!! LOL

Blog Entries
    Wouldn't these require y-seams to fit correctly?

yep you didn't add the 1/4 seam allowance- the middle shouldn't be meeting until it has been sewen- it looks like you cut the templetes on the sewing line instead of the cutting line- try it again only smaller- so you can control it better

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast