Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Texture Magics alter ego!

So I was reading the thread posted by a member where she had gotten a surprise package and it was texture magic. I have seen the stuff before and new that it cost more than what I was willing to pay for a little fabric shrinkage! So... Suddenly the light bulb came on, it kinda scared me cause it doesn't shine very often but when it does watch out!
    Anyways I have been making tubetop style swimsuit cover ups for a couple weeks now. I use elastic thread in my bobbin to shir the top of a beach towel. then I hit the shirred part with steam and it shrinks right up. My kids think I am amazing and can do....wait for it....MAGIC! lol

Anyways I took a square of fabric grew a grid on the back side of the fabric (wrong side oops) and then started sewing from the backside. only to realize duh, the elastic is going to show on the front of the fabric. ok. impravize, flip the fabric over and just start sewing a grid on the front so the elastic (in the bobbin) is now on the BACK of the fabric. I then shot it with steam and THIS is what happened!

My lines were sewn about 3/8 -1/2 inch apart. I think if I were going to do a large project this way I would space my lines out more. and definitely use a bigger piece of fabric. The only draw back to doing it THIS way is that the fabric begins to shrink as yoru sewing it. but with a little effort it all works out!

It looks kinda crappy cause my thread didn't match but it was just an experiment.
    Name:  Attachment-210116.jpe
Views: 32
Size:  57.4 KB

The fabric started out 5x5 shrunk down to about 3x3
    Name:  Attachment-210117.jpe
Views: 29
Size:  53.0 KB

The texture that it got.
    Name:  Attachment-210118.jpe
Views: 31
Size:  40.3 KB

WOW! It sort of shrivels right up there, doesn't it.

Blog Entries
    Be sure to show us the finished project. Very interesting:)

Blog Entries
    You are amazing! How great is that?! Now I can do it, too. Thank-you so much and can you post a pic of those cover-ups you are talking about?

You are so smart. Great job

Thanks everyone! I don't really have a project in mind just wanted to know if it would work or not! Although it would be really cute to use this on the "center" piece on these frogs.
    http://butterick.mccall.com/you-must...hp?page_id=898
    Quote Originally Posted by LoriEl
    You are amazing! How great is that?! Now I can do it, too. Thank-you so much and can you post a pic of those cover-ups you are talking about?
    Here is the first cover-up of the season!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-118140-1.htm
    Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Wow, that's really cool! I've never used elastic thread before, but lately I've been seeing a lot of projects online that use it. You use it for bobbing thread? Do you just wind it on by hand? Oh QB wise ones, tell me please!

Aren't you a clever one! Looks cool and would probably feel better than using the texture magic product.

What a cool discovery. I'm going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing.

What a neat idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast