I didn't really need a laptop case because I have plenty of bags with straps in which I can put my laptop. Most cheap cases only hold a 15" or smaller and I have a 17". All year I have been wrapping my laptop in a small blanket and putting it in a larger bag. Finally, I decided that the laptop needed a sleeve. Thanks to a tute From Robin Quilts, here is what I came up with. Most of you will recognize the fabric!
What I did: I used an inside and outside fabric plus a layer of batting and a piece of sturdy felt I probably would never use elsewhere. I quilted these layers using my sewing machine by following the paths between the leaves. This resulted in a uniform diamond pattern. The outside fabric was pieced together from two pieces, so I used some of the binding fabric to cover that area in the back and it made a nice accent. I followed the tute to sew the sleeve together then added a binding. I've yet to buy the iron-on Velcro for a closure. After some testing, I may determine the Velcro is unnecessary.
The curve of the flap was created by finding the center of the sleeve and measuring equidistant from that point and making markings around the top. I used a water soluble marker to mark the points and draw the curve.
I probably should have taken some pics during the process, but I was so determined to get it done, there was no stopping for pics!
Here it is: