Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thrift store find

I think it's lovely and your extra fabrics will give it a nice look. Very cute couch potatoes.

nice

Congratulations on your find. Your helpers were quite kind to let you get your photo!

Quote Originally Posted by skpkatydid
    Here is a partial quilt top that I found in a thrift shop. ( Not near as nice as other that have been posted).I would like to finish it and possibly use embellishments. I have pictures of some of the fabrics that I have collected. What do you think?
    I got the top finished. I would like your opinions concerning putting on 2 borders...one 2" and the other 5"? It measures 70"x84". The original pictures are on the original post. This was the worst mess , actually still is...the person making it was having trouble with tension...what a jumble of thread..Plus they didn't clip threads after sewing. And of course the seams were not uniform. So I didn't feel too concerned with my sewing...I was not going to try and make seams match. I planned all along to embellish it.

This is the top with the added blocks
    Name:  Attachment-31024.jpe
Views: 6
Size:  83.8 KB

This is the side and corner that needed the blocks
    Name:  Attachment-31025.jpe
Views: 3
Size:  96.1 KB

I don't know about the borders. That's an area that I'm never sure about. You did a great job on finishing the squares. I don't know. It's almost screaming for just a nice binding. What do you think? Perhaps that dark blue solid.

Maybe the darker blue finishing with the lighter blue.

Here is another quilt I found in a Thrift Store a few years back. I don't think I paid over $8 for it. My son and his wife are having a baby girl in May. I am going to give this to my first granddaughter. My first grandchild is a boy...just didn't feel it was appropriate for him. Wish I could say I made this because I think it is very pretty and it is the style of something I would do. (grin)
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    I don't know about the borders. That's an area that I'm never sure about. You did a great job on finishing the squares. I don't know. It's almost screaming for just a nice binding. What do you think? Perhaps that dark blue solid.
    You know I think you are right about using just the dark blue binding. I will be making the backing out of the larger fabric pieces from the first listing. It is turning out better than I thought. I thought it would be hard to put in the missing blocks but it wasn't.

Wow, your thrift shop is tempting but it would be a long haul from here. LOL

I've bought a couple of old quilts but they weren't nearly so pretty. Love the last one! Aren't you the lucky one!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2