Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Tonights Wally finds >

Tonights Wally finds

Tonights Wally finds

Old 04-25-2008, 02:39 AM

What a deal! I love all the spring time florals. Very pretty!
Old 04-25-2008, 03:29 AM

Do you quilters read the labels on the ends of the bolts when looking at fabrics in Wal-Mart? Both the stores I visit has had a mysterious blend of fabrics that do not seem to be selling well.

On first look it appears to be cotton. Touch it! It has a strange feel. Then the labels reads that is is a blend of Polyester and Nylon. I wonder how it is going to cut and fray? I have examined it and decided it was not for quilts.

Beware! is the word. What looks like a cotton might be something else.

Then, there iare the $1 fabric they have shipped in that appears to be "gauze" and has so much dye on top of it, it has a strange feel and quality. I decided this was not quilting fabric either.

Has anyone else found strange things on their $1 table? I think they are cleaning the warehouse because of some of the old style polyester knits and other fabrics that are of suspecious origin.

June
Old 04-25-2008, 03:38 AM
Administrator

our local dollar table has become more and more of a mystery fabric stack. it is best to sift through it carefully. i'm happy to report, though, that one of my purchases from a bolt marked "unknown content" did - much to my surprise - turn out to be 100% cotton. not only that, there was almost no fraying when i prewashed and it tears perfectly across the straight of grain.

it's a gamble, i'll admit. but millions play in vegas and buy lottery tickets. i'll bet they spend more on that than i do rolling the dice at the dollar table. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 04-25-2008, 03:49 AM

My walmart gets a lot of what can only be described as curtain and drape material. It's the 1 an2 dollar fabric. I buy it and make new curtains. We also get a lot of fabric that looks like oxford or mens shirts, usually 60 inches wide, great for quilt backing or a summer top. We also get upholstery fabric and I have used it for a chair and makes nice pillows and tote bags. Lately we have had extra wide, large print cotton. I made a nice table cloth and napkins.

I will miss the fabric department if they leave, but I will have more money as a lot of this is still in the closet :D
Old 04-25-2008, 03:52 AM

I MISS WALMART!
Old 04-25-2008, 03:59 AM

Our Walmart gets great fabrics. If you are interested in being "green", it's nice to be supporting domestic fabrics that don't have to be shipped from overseas. If you are a military family, it's nice to know that Cranston/VIP is one of the BEST supporters of their military reservist employees. I made my own bed quilt from VIP/Cranston fabrics for that reason! :D
Old 04-25-2008, 04:31 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I MISS WALMART!
you aren't missing much anymore. may as well shop in Beijing. :lol:

i still go because the nearest something similar is 50 miles away. and because i prefer to not spend $5 for a gallon of milk. :roll:

Originally Posted by Cathe
Our Walmart gets great fabrics. If you are interested in being "green", it's nice to be supporting domestic fabrics that don't have to be shipped from overseas. If you are a military family, it's nice to know that Cranston/VIP is one of the BEST supporters of their military reservist employees. I made my own bed quilt from VIP/Cranston fabrics for that reason!
sadly, their fabrics are very hard to find online. i love the fabrics and admire their support of the military. they are also dedicated and genuine protectors of their environment and all-around good human beings.

http://www.cranstonvillage.com/about/aboutCranstonCares.aspx?id=1732

http://www.cranstonvillage.com/about/aboutCranstonCaresList.aspx
Old 04-25-2008, 04:38 AM

I love most of Cranston Village Fabric!
Old 04-25-2008, 04:42 AM

Wow - what a good find at WalMart! As others have said, I'm finding that the $1. and $2. table has some wierd stuff that I wouldn't consider buying, but lucky for you, that wasn't the case at your Wally World. Good job!
Old 04-25-2008, 05:44 AM

Our local tables do have some of the strange stuff some of you have mentioned. I have noticed almost all of the things mentioned here, but they still have some great markdown fabrics on there as well.

I always prewash if in doubt, but most of what I have is the same brand and I pretty much trust it.

The stripes material, I wished the pictures were more crisp and showed just how bright this really is, my DH was online last night and I sent him the pics online and that was his fav. Its VIP by Cranston that one was marked down from $3.96 and I got 5 1/2 yards of it, my fabric lady told me if more of that come in she would call me she has my #'s as I have done some work for her before.

Does anyone else have this addiction just getting the entire bolt? People are foreveer looking at my family in a strange way when we have hit the fab department because we get just one cart for that stuff to make sure that we do not get anything else on it and normally the cart ends up pretty full. But thats because we also have a rule of thumb, each time we go to Wal Mart we purchase two packages of batting. Thats stuff if a little bulky so that takes up some room. But my family, even the guys are in there picking out fabrics and tell the girls at the cutting table to just give it ALL to us! And we prefer them to put it back on the bolt, that way we can stand it on end at home and can see our stash a little better when were picking out a sceme.