Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
'Turning over a new leaf' OBW >

'Turning over a new leaf' OBW

'Turning over a new leaf' OBW

Old 01-19-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
I don't know anything about one block wonder so this may seem like a ridiculous question. Does this block type help you determine piece placement in your blocks? The way the fabric comes together in the individual blocks makes this project mesmerizing, I could look at it for hours. Wonderful quilt, thanks for sharing
Actually, the section of the print you make your triangles from isn't very predictable. If you tried, it'd drive you nuts. Just cut strips and then triangles from the stacked strip set. The resulting blocks will surprise you as you sew them together. Most will work in your overall design but some might not.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:01 AM

I think you did a magnificent job
Old 01-19-2010, 07:03 AM

What a spectacular quilt. It seems to sparkle and move. I could watch it for hours.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by MamaBear61
I don't know anything about one block wonder so this may seem like a ridiculous question. Does this block type help you determine piece placement in your blocks? The way the fabric comes together in the individual blocks makes this project mesmerizing, I could look at it for hours. Wonderful quilt, thanks for sharing
Basically, you make a stack of 6 layers of six identical pattern repeats which you then cut into strips (these were 3 3/4" wide). You then cut 60° triangles (I use a triangle ruler). This gives you 6 identical fabric triangles, which you then use to create hexagon blocks. You make them in two halves and pin the blocks together, then when you come to piece them, you have only straight seams to sew. When you have your stack of hexagon blocks, you can play away to your hearts content til you find a layout you're happy with. The cutting and piecing is pretty straightforward - the fun (and headache sometimes!) is in the layout.

This technique, from a cutting and sewing point of view, is really easy, I promise! If you'd like to try it, I'd recommend getting the book One Block Wonders and/or One Block Wonders Encore by Maxine Rosenthal. There are detailed instructions with pics in both and the second one also explains how to make the hollow blocks. She also gives tips on how to chose a good fabric - IMO this is one of the hardest parts of the process - with this quilt it was done for me! :D
Once you've made a OBW, you'll be able to pick out appropriate fabrics in no time. If not, buy a quilt block mirror and bring it with you to the fabric shop. Hold it up on the bolt to check out what kind of hexagons you'll get. Just hold it crosswise on the bolt and slide it along from selvage to selvage. You'll quickly be able to see if that fabric's print will work.
I also agree that figuring out the placement of the hexagons is the hardest part of making one of these quilts. There are so many ways they can be arranged.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:18 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
Once you've made a OBW, you'll be able to pick out appropriate fabrics in no time. If not, buy a quilt block mirror and bring it with you to the fabric shop. Hold it up on the bolt to check out what kind of hexagons you'll get. Just hold it crosswise on the bolt and slide it along from selvage to selvage. You'll quickly be able to see if that fabric's print will work.
Yes, I'm getting better at it - this is my third full size plus I have a 4th top waiting to be quilted. The first one had way too much plain background and the motifs were too small but it's OK in it's own way. The mirror tip I had from Jenell (billswife on here!) I've yet to try it - I order almost exclusively online (no LQS here, and those that are an hour or so drive are very expensive!) so it IS something of a 'lottery'! Fun though! :-D
Old 01-19-2010, 07:22 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
Actually, the section of the print you make your triangles from isn't very predictable. If you tried, it'd drive you nuts. Just cut strips and then triangles from the stacked strip set. The resulting blocks will surprise you as you sew them together. Most will work in your overall design but some might not.
I'd agree with this entirely! Sometimes the most unassuming looking stacks become the most beautiful hexs and vice versa! Plus, you need some of the less striking ones to give you transitions in your quilt - sometimes it's the ones you find the most beautiful when you're piecing that just won't fit anywhere! These could be used as corner blocks or pieced into the border in some way, or just in other projects on they're own.

I'd also like to say that apart from a couple of leftover blocks (although in this quilt I used them ALL!) and a few very small scraps, there is NO waste with this technique! I know that is an objection that gets thrown up from time to time. :-D
Old 01-19-2010, 07:31 AM

I am still trying to get up the courage to do one of these. I am loving the ones I look at.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Banned

very pretty
Old 01-19-2010, 07:41 AM

fabulous :thumbup:
Old 01-19-2010, 07:55 AM

Well now lets see !!! It's just so Beautiful and pretty. :D