Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Wanted to share with someone... >

Wanted to share with someone...

Wanted to share with someone...

Old 05-28-2010, 08:16 AM

Hello cjomomma, I doubt that I will make many more blocks because I do not have a lot of lighter colored scraps. But because I make gobs of charity quilts, I will probably make two more blocks and then put large fuzzy cut duck or animal focus fabric in center and then add borders. My goal this summer is to reduce my basket of strip fabrics and help my 10-yr-old granddaughter hone up her sewing skills. Thanks for for your response.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-74833.jpe  
Old 05-28-2010, 08:28 AM

This photo was of my granddaughter last year or so when she was sewing together her blocks made from muslin with crayola drawings. We sure had fun making those blocks. She loved ironing but was scared of the pins. Her quilt was donated to Project Linus.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Oh what a neat idea, teach them early to give with an open heart. My 2 older ones have no interest in sewing but my 3 yr old tells me all the tome that when he gets older he wants to learn to make quilts.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:40 AM

So true cjomomma--teach them young. I had her sitting on my lap both at the piano and at the sewing machine when she could barely sit by herself. Today, at ten, she claims my little Bernia as her own (albeit it stays at grandma's house!) and she plays the piano. She was so excited when she called this last winter exclaiming that she could now play with two hands and moving on to the black keys. Love those little kiddies and it is up to us adults to keep the art of quilting alive. Thanks for the chat this morning; off I go to get my sewing day started.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:45 AM

I'm so sorry you had to learn the hard way, but thankfully my DM told me this from the get go to use same machine and ruler on each project. I think she learned the hard way and didn't want it to happen to me. One thing she didn't tell me was you had to square up the blocks before assembling, you can imagine what my first couple of quilts looked like before I found out about this useful tip,lol!!
Old 05-28-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by All Thumbs
Hello, like ctack2 the other day, I too am trying to locate an individual who was telling about her block design and then asking us to share with her our results. Well, I have checked my computer history and cannot find her. I also have been check marking the box at bottom of read stating I wanted to watch the posting but for some reason that never happened either. So, my next option is to share my photo here in hopes that the quilter will see it. My reason for wanting to share is that I learned a valuable lesson. One time I cut with one ruler and made two blocks. Liking what I saw (even though block seemed time consuming and with lots of bias to deal with), the next day I cut two more blocks but with a different ruler because the fabric and lines were more visible. Sure enough, check out my blocks--top two are larger than bottom two by approximately 1/4 inch. Now when I start a quilt, not only will I be writing down my stitch length, thread and which machine I am using but I will also be including which ruler I use. Because I have arthritis, I do not cut an entire project at one time; that would probably be the best but getting older delivers us another requirement. Just another lesson learned.
Lovely blocks, thanks for sharing.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:47 AM

Those are such pretty blocks, just love their "motion." Bet they'll look just fine when you square them up. Thanks for the tip on the rulers, I like to spread my money around with the manufacturers on them, but guess should just stick to one brand in the future.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

Great job, they are really nice blocks!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:35 AM

Yes, FarmerGirl, I have put a basic colored piece around each block to ease with that squaring up and now I will sew them all together for center of a charity quilt. From there I will build it into a rectangle and finally add huge borders to hopefully get an approx. 40x50 quilt. I think I have some butterfly fabric that I can piece together for 6-inch border. Nothing better to send cuddly love to sick children in hospitals or scared ones following their mothers to shelters and the like.