Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
What block did I make? >

What block did I make?

What block did I make?

Old 06-22-2013, 09:22 AM

The mini here is a really cute presentation. I was inspired by all of the secondary designs that Dede created in the way she placed her blocks. I would forget the original block names and go with what the whole little quilt it looks like now, e.g. if you - (1) look directly to the right of the center block and concentrate on the reds, you can see fish with tails looking in at the center - so you could call it Fisherman's Star, or (2) instead of thinking fish, those same designs look like the stylized hawks in Native American designs - so you could call it Cherokee Star. It is just so fascinating when blocks are put together and make all of those secondary designs. I love this mini!
Old 06-22-2013, 09:48 AM

Thank you all for the great comments. It's fun to see what you can do with the leftovers of another quilt. I was a little afraid of blocks so small. (I really hate to throw any fabric away) I think I need a small rotating cutting mat if I am going to do more of these. My big one was just too much waste of space and slowed me down. I didn't see the fish until Kathy pointed them out. Here is the back for any one who was curious.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]420520[/ATTACH]
This one I do know.
Attached Thumbnails dsci3251e.jpg  
Old 06-22-2013, 11:08 AM

I just call it a pretty block! Love it!
Old 06-22-2013, 12:48 PM
QM
Power Poster

Any single block may have several traditional names and some names are applied traditionally to several blocks. Don't worry about the name. Enjoy the lovely stars you made.

The second is one of my favs. You did it well.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:02 PM

I have been around the block for many years. I like your name for it. It does have lots of names and also ways of making it and setting it.. Love what you have done with it! I too can't not throw away those little pieces..even the bits when put under tule make beautiful paintings! Quilt on!! and enjoy!
Old 06-22-2013, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dedemac View Post
Is this an Ohio star?

I need some help, I was making up the label for a gift, but I don’t know what block I made. The front is all HST in a four patch design and the border I did four triangles to mimic the square entering the border. But what are the four, star pattern blocks called that make up the piece? I used Ronda's 1.5 square to make all the HST blocks so the whole thing is only 10.5 inches square.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]420107[/ATTACH]

Is there any real name or should I just call it the Ohio star?

Thanks for the help I love this board!
Don't call it an Ohio Star. Here's a link to Ohio Stars: https://www.google.com/search?q=Ohio...w=1920&bih=952
Old 06-23-2013, 01:59 PM

Don't worry about the correct name for the star. It is now your design so name it whatever you like. How about "Celestial Love" ?