Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do, what to do...

I am quilting a quilt for my in-laws. It needs to be done by Christmas. I don't think I will get it finished if I quilt it all by hand. What do y'all think about machine quilting the borders, but continue to hand quilt the center. Will that work?

I am doing an echo stitch in the light green (probably looks white) and want to do by machine a meandering vine in the medium green and straight lines in the dark border. Will it work? Here is a partial picture of the quilt...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

np3
    Blog Entries
    I don't mix the two methods..... Maybe you should machine quilt the whole thing?

The quilt is so beautiful. I would continue hand quilting if it took until Easter. Your in-laws will appreciate the effort. While I love machine quilting, hand quilting is still my favorite. Also, combination quilting may or may not work very well. The machine stitching is tighter and the quilt will likely not wash satisfactorily. The center will always be softer.
    Take a photo and wrap it up with a nice note of explanation. They'll still love it!

There have been other threads on this subject, and it is not at all uncommon to do both on a quilt. If you would like to do that, it is your quilt, you can. Is it for them to use or for an heirloom type quilt? That might be the only qualifying factor.

Blog Entries
    I am to inexperienced to say. However, I do want to say they are going to love it when they do get the quilt, it's beautiful

Do both. The stitching is not what's important. It's made with love.

Blog Entries
    I've done that with a quilt-hand stitched some of it and machine quilted the rest. It's your work, you can do what you want. And non-quilters are just so happy to get a quilt that you made, it doesn't make any difference to them. Do what you want, they'll love it.

Blog Entries
    You can mix and match as you please. There are nquilt police around here, it's a quilter's own choice!!

Blog Entries
    Do whichever makes you happy.. and what you think will look the best... they will love it no matter what.. cause you made it. :) beautiful quilt by the way :)

I've mixed them before with no problems.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast