Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
What to do when you are given a zillion jean squares >

What to do when you are given a zillion jean squares

What to do when you are given a zillion jean squares

Old 05-29-2012, 07:54 PM

I love your story and I love your quilt! I love the chair cover idea, too; if you get chilly, you can just pull the cover up around you.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:24 PM

Fantastic! Nothing like the rich color of blue jeans! I give you credit, though I've done some other things with denim, made a doggy bed, a bag, etc. The weight of making a quilt out of it scares me. I have enough problems pushing and pulling a queen size flannel, I can't imagine denim. Ugh! More power to you, your my hero!
Old 05-29-2012, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by fxsts93kf View Post
Fantastic! Nothing like the rich color of blue jeans! I give you credit, though I've done some other things with denim, made a doggy bed, a bag, etc. The weight of making a quilt out of it scares me. I have enough problems pushing and pulling a queen size flannel, I can't imagine denim. Ugh! More power to you, your my hero!
I always wanted to be someone's hero! *chuckle*
Old 05-29-2012, 08:49 PM

Pretty!

Whatever you do, DO NOT, wash that thing in your home washer!!! I learned the hard way!!
Old 05-29-2012, 08:58 PM

Very pretty, there not so bad to crosshatch when there done as quilt as you go.But I can understand all that
clipping.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:38 PM

Your quilt is beautiful!

I absolutely love rag quilts. I made one about that size with flannel (cowboy boots/blue) that my sister-in-law wanted at one time. I made it to take to the hospital with me when I had major surgery - I didn't want to get cold and I wanted something from home. I absolutely love that quilt - two layers of flannel and one layer of Warm & Natural so it is a heavy one, but very warm.

I have made many using denim, some with flannel on them too. I love using scraps to make them and I have used just about every decorative stitch on my machine to secure the two layers - also leftover bobbins - who cares! My husband keeps one in his truck and it has been used for just about everything!

Try making one with just one layer of flannel - they make wonderful summer blankets - you know the time when you have the windows open at night and a breeze is coming in and you want just a little something to cover yourself with - this is perfect!

The dogs love them too.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 PM

Wow... that's a great quilt AND you lived to tell... LOL! I'll bet that puppy will wear like iron & be warm as all get out. Kudos!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:54 AM
Power Poster

Congratulations on getting it done. It looks great. Keep saying I am going to do one out of denim. You inspire me. BrendaK
Old 05-30-2012, 02:30 AM

Great job. I love it.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:14 AM

I've made a small throw with two different pieces of denim (medium blue and a tiny light blue and white stripe) that I had stored wondering how to use them. I wore denim skirts a lot when I worked (first grade teacher) and I didn't need that anymore. So I tried the idea of a rag quilt. Didn't use any batting and didn't cross hatch the blocks which were cut 6" square. By the time I sewed the half inch seams (8 blocks wide and 10 blocks long) that quilt was so heavy. And yes, it did take a couple of days and several blistered fingers to get it all clipped. (Actually, years later, I noticed two of the seams of one block was still not clipped. ) WE have really used it. I've spread it on the grass (fringes down) and used it for sitting at an outdoor concert, covered my legs at football games (and a bleacher cushion as well ;D)

I was at JoAnn's Monday and saw that the shears and scissors were on sale --50%!!. I wanted to pick up those shears designed to clip rag quilts but wasn't sure just how helpful they are. Anyone know?