I spent several hours quilting this quilt on my DSM, even though it is a lesson in what not to do. This was my second quilt, not counting a small flannel rag quilt, so I made it awhile ago (as I've said I'm finishing all the tops I've made before letting myself piece news ones). I'm not sure how I got so many things wrong on this quilt....or worse, why I left it that way. The mistakes don't show at a glance and it was only when I was quilting it -- and past the point of no return -- that I noticed that the sashing does not always line up, and some of the orange pieces are not the same size. That has to be a seaming problem but also, I can only assume that I didn't square up my blocks before putting them together. And how I got the sashing so out of line and left it that way, I have no idea. I think we sometimes develop blind spots when working on something and just can't see our goofs. At least that's what I'm telling myself about this one.
To make matters worse I got the back on crooked. I tried a new method of sandwiching and thought I had the top and back lined up but, guess what? I didn't! Didn't know that either until the thing was halfway quilted and I just was not going to rip out and start over, especially since by that time I'd realized the top was kind of a mess, too. Next time, though, I'm going to worry less about that 2 or 3 inches of batting and back extending beyond the top and more about making sure the top and back absolutely line up.
I loved the fabrics in this quilt, too, while I was making it, so needless to say I'm disappointed. But I'll keep it around to remind me to be more observant and more careful when putting a quilt together, both top and sandwich.
I'm posting these photos anyway because my errors may help someone else. I'm not that proud. I have other things I've done well so this "failure" won't ruin my life or keep me from making others.
Thanks for looking.....and being kind!