What is this pattern called? >

What is this pattern called?

What is this pattern called?

Old 10-20-2011, 10:57 AM

looks like an apple core to me
Old 10-20-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by nativetexan
or take the template pattern to your local glass cutter, and have them make you one in plexiglass/acrylic! It'll cost you a lot less $$ !!!
Great idea, I have a box full of precut pieces, so Id be surprised if I need any more pieces. She had a template made from sandpaper in the box!
Old 10-20-2011, 11:33 AM

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for this apple core pattern. I had made one for my daughter when she was young from craft scraps and old torn clothes. I bound it with a purchased eyelet ruffle and tyed it with embroidery thread. She just loved cuddingly with it when she was little and asking about the stories behind each piece of fabric. She used it until it was thread bear and today is only a tattered and pilled backing which she can't sleep without. Unknown to her, the he throughly loved out front is in storage with my mother to make a stuffed bear out if it once my daughter is an adult.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by lmc8
I will always have a soft spot in my heart for this apple core pattern. I had made one for my daughter when she was young from craft scraps and old torn clothes. I bound it with a purchased eyelet ruffle and tyed it with embroidery thread. She just loved cuddingly with it when she was little and asking about the stories behind each piece of fabric. She used it until it was thread bear and today is only a tattered and pilled backing which she can't sleep without. Unknown to her, the he throughly loved out front is in storage with my mother to make a stuffed bear out if it once my daughter is an adult.
What a wonderful idea, she will always treasure that bear, probably pass it to her children someday.
Ive never thought of tieing with embroidery thread! What a good idea!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 12:30 PM

Not sure what it is called, but it is beautiful. Hope you finish it and post then.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by MimiLinda
Not sure what it is called, but it is beautiful. Hope you finish it and post then.
It is everyones opinion that its an apple core pattern, I looked it up and sure enough. I hope Im able to do it justice. Ive got several projects ahead of it though. Isnt that always the case.lol
Old 10-20-2011, 12:47 PM

Hi, just looked it up in Barbara Brackman's Ency. of Pieced Quilt Patterns, and it first appeared unnamed in 1875. Other names it went by: Always Friends; Spools; Friendship Chain, Badge of Friendship; Double Ax; Jigsaw; Charm; Friendship Quilt; Mother's Oddity. Curiously, BB doesn't mention "Apple Core" for any pattern. It is not listed in the Index. Happy Quilting!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by yonnikka
Hi, just looked it up in Barbara Brackman's Ency. of Pieced Quilt Patterns, and it first appeared unnamed in 1875. Other names it went by: Always Friends; Spools; Friendship Chain, Badge of Friendship; Double Ax; Jigsaw; Charm; Friendship Quilt; Mother's Oddity. Curiously, BB doesn't mention "Apple Core" for any pattern. It is not listed in the Index. Happy Quilting!
Thank you yonikka!!! It's a very old pattern then... interesting that it has SO many names, is that common? I REALLY appreciate you letting me know!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:06 PM

that looks awesome so far. :) Gorgeous fabrics. And like everyone else said, Apple Core.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
that looks awesome so far. :) Gorgeous fabrics. And like everyone else said, Apple Core.
That's a modern term for it I guess.... older names were
Always Friends; Spools; Friendship Chain, Badge of Friendship; Double Ax; Jigsaw; Charm; Friendship Quilt; Mother's Oddity according to a previous comment who looked it up. Im surprised it has so many names.