Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
what would you charge a client for this... >

what would you charge a client for this...

what would you charge a client for this...

Old 11-27-2012, 09:32 AM

Your work is beautiful! Love your design. I would definitely keep it if she isn't willing to pay your price. I would say $60 doesn't even cover your expenses
Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 AM

OMG - it's lovely - and clearly a lot of work went into it! And any less than $200 would be ridiculous. I'd keep it before it went for less than that. $60 is insulting!! Let that person work that hard, that many hours, for that pay - and see what she says then! >:O
Old 11-27-2012, 10:19 AM

I would tell her (via e-mail so you have a copy) that she owes you the agreed upon price, NO DISCOUNT and if at the end of one week she has not made a payment or paid in full, it will go up for sale for $300 and if she wants it after the week is up she will have to pay the $300 in full. If she wants the material back, give her any scraps and tell her as she went back on agreed upon contract, she is out of luck, but she can have what is left over. If she doesn't like it tell her too bad, you broke contract so your just out of luck. Stand tough because it sounds like she pulls this on other people as well.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 AM

standare practice is 3 times what it cost you to make it. If that is to low raise it some. and it depends on who you are giving it to. nice job
Old 11-27-2012, 01:51 PM

She only wants to pay $60? Is she kidding?
Old 11-27-2012, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by pokergal3 View Post
Thank you for your replies. Yes we did talked about the prices and I had told her it would be $125 plus cost of fabrics etc. She said fine no problem!!! I may even pay you more than that. I had let her know it was ready for pick up and gave her the costs plus 20 percent discount which came to $126 She said no way only $60. I gave her some links to check out what others are charging for the same size wallhanging but very simple pattern on it. She has not gotten back to me yet.
It's just beautiful! She agreed to $125 plus cost of materials. Why would she get a 20% discount? I agree with those who say you should stick to price stated, or keep it. If there is any of her old fabrics left from grandfather, just put them in a box and send them back to her. That is hers.
What a cheapskate!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:10 PM

Always set pricing on paper & have the customer initial and sign. Luckily for me, my customers usually pay in advance.

I would have charged (I'm in a depressed area, so my charges are lower than what I would charge in a larger city) $160.00 (including everything). I charge 12.00 for a label, 15.00 for hanging sleeve.

Give her a bill, and make sure it says she has 30 days to retrieve the quilt, or it will be sold to recoup your fee.

marge

Originally Posted by pokergal3 View Post
I even quilted the background and included a custom made label on the back for the quilt and also dont know if you can it but even had loops for hanging on a rod per client s request.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:43 PM

Come on. It is gorgeous. Cary IL and she seriously wants to pay you $60. Please, the median household income in that town is almost 100K. Give her notice like the other people say and if she doesn't come up with the money within the allotted time, I will buy it for your price and donate it to one of the local charities and I will give you credit as the designer and quilter. I live in Woodstock.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:58 PM

I agree with Coopah, don't back down!!! You worked hard, did EXCELLENT work and now that woman wants to get that beautiful piece of workmanship by what amounts to robbery. Do not be guilted into letting your work go for much less than what it is worth. I bet SHE wouldn't do something that labor intensive without adequate compensation!

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
OK, I just have to dip my oar in again. You said the family has money and that the woman is a mural artist. Well, some (note the SOME) families with money got that way by chiseling prices down on everyone else, but then asking well over the going rate for their own services. She has the mind set that you are her servant and since she comes from a prominent/wealthy family, you'll know you're just a serf and be honored to GIVE your work away. Ask me how I know. Give in to her and you lose respect for yourself. Hang tough. Believe me, she doesn't give her customers any discount, and I'd bet on that!! Good luck to you.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:11 PM
ro
Banned

i agree with delta. standard practice is 3 to 3 1/2 times what it cost you to make. i also work in a quilt shop. i showed the piece and they thought $125 to $150. good luck!