Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
what would you charge a client for this... >

what would you charge a client for this...

what would you charge a client for this...

Old 12-05-2012, 07:05 AM

Thumbs up

YAH!!!!
Life is good for you today.......
Old 12-06-2012, 12:24 AM

I know this may seem trivial but make sure it is paid in a cashiers check or cash do not take a personal check because she can stop pay on it. this is amazing I wish I could do this with my Grandfathers clothing you are amazing!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:39 PM

I just love a story with a happy ending! So glad everything worked out for you.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:39 PM
JJC

This a beautiful wall hanging and your quilting is lovely. I totally agree that this piece is easily worth $200.00 - $275.00. Those folks who do not do any quilting just don't have the faintest idea of all the work that is involved in making/designing the pattern, cutting everything out, and putting it all together to be sewn, let alone all the quilting that is done on such pieces and not to mention all of ones time that it takes to do this. Don't let her have it for the mere $60.00 that she wants to pay for it.

I too found myself in this same situation just a year ago. I was asked to make a quilt for a lady (a former boss of mine) and we agreed on a price of which she was fine with, I purchased all of the materials and went to work on it while waiting for a deposit on which I never did get. This went on for awhile and to make a long story short, it was a lesson learned to never start anything without a deposit or the full price right up front. So I now enjoy the beautiful quilt along with matching pillowcases and shams to go with on our bed.

Originally Posted by pokergal3 View Post
I drew up the pattern, quilted it etc which involved a lot of sewing. See the picture. It is a memory heart tree wallhanging involving using the client s grandfather s fabrics that he used in his tailoring business. Most of the fabrics were almost impossible to work with but I struggled thru it. What more it had to be done within three weeks so I forsaked everything. It is 36 by 42. I had to buy the other fabrics as well as battings which came out to $36.10 not including the stuffs to make a pattern. Now what would you have charged the client for this. Thank you for your advices. sorry dont know how to make the picture smaller
Old 12-07-2012, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

You did a wonderful job on this and it is beautiful. So sad there are people like that. One very good reason I would not make anything for money. I give quilts to people that I decide need a quilt.

Thanks for the update and I am so glad it worked out so well for you. If you make the other things for her, I would sure get it in writing.

Last edited by Jingle; 12-07-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:52 AM

The price should have been negotiated BEFORE the project was begun. Did you talk about the cost of materials? Labor cost? At this point, submit to your client a showing of materials cost, and add an amount that he will pay. I'm thinking about $70. Most people think in terms of an hourly wage: so how many hours x your hourly rate. Good luck.
If you want to do MORE of this kind of special custom work, your Reputation for fairness might be more valuable than the dollars gained. Be wise, don't make an enemy.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:25 PM

So glad she saw the light and paid a realistic sum for such a beautiful work of art!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 12-08-2012, 07:24 AM

I am glad everything worked out for you but I am not sure I would want to do anymore work for her.
You should think about that next year when she wants more of you work.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:56 PM

I followed this thread and am so happy you got your money. She still got a beautiful bargain but if you're happy that is all that matters. Too bad this stressed you so much. That kind of ruins the fun of the project.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:02 PM

And a wonderful Holiday to you as well