Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is this what you call a "Twister" ?

I made this a few years back..in my group..we all made them..it was called "Testellating Stars" from a book called "Square Dance" my question is..are they the same??

Country Square Dance
    Name:  Attachment-239041.jpe
Views: 49
Size:  64.2 KB

MTS
    Banned
    Visually, yes, they look the same (or with slight variations for the angle). The method of construction is different.

In the traditional pieced Square Dance block (I've called it the Windmill block), you are sewing the 4 patches together to make each block.

With the Twister template/ruler, you sew the plain fabric squares together, and then cut out the blocks where they intersect (which will automatically give you the 4 patches).

eta: Of course, any pattern maker/teacher/book can use any name they want. ;-)

Blog Entries
    to me - the look is the same, but I think Twister refers more to the technique. With Twister you start out with a simple patchwork, cut it at an odd angle, then turn it and sew it back together. So, it depends on how you made this, if it is the same or not.

What ever you call it. . . . it's very pretty!! :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by grammatjr
    to me - the look is the same, but I think Twister refers more to the technique. With Twister you start out with a simple patchwork, cut it at an odd angle, then turn it and sew it back together. So, it depends on how you made this, if it is the same or not.
    Yes..that's it..you make 49 squares..cut an angle..turn them..sew it back together..and if you play with your angles..you'd be amazed at what the design can do !!(You can made then with a larger amount)

They are the same. We just did them the hard way. The template makes it easier to cut.

Sure looks like it to me. Stunning quilt.

I guess you can debate on what it's called but I say it's great.

By any name, it is a beautiful quilt! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by pjustice63
    They are the same. We just did them the hard way. The template makes it easier to cut.
    I just found out that you can change the look (example on my measurement) 6" squares..template is 6" but the angles can be changed..as long as they are 5 1/2" lines..it'll work and designs will be different..I may play with this on one of my GC's quilts I'm working on for Xmas !!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast