Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Why I quilt >

Why I quilt

Why I quilt

Old 02-09-2011, 04:56 PM

My grandmother quilted all her life (she died in 1993) and left behind many pieced tops, blocks, pieces and patterns. I've been practicing until I feel competent enough to attempt to finish her UFO's. My problem is that some of these do not have borders on them and I'm afraid to mix new fabrics with the old and I'm looking for suggestions. I have a bolt of domestic and some lighter weight domestic that she did use in some of the tops such as the red and green top that could be used, but wouldn't be pretty. I also have some old sheets and some fabric I kept of hers also. I tempted not to worry about borders and just use the domestic as the backing and bind with it as well. The last photo is of a signature quilt that has family members. My Mom thinks each person made a block and embroidered their names since the handwork is not consistent. One block is in really bad shape, and I hope it can be salvaged. Thanks for looking and any suggestions would be welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-141399.jpe   attachment-141400.jpe   attachment-141401.jpe   attachment-141585.jpe  
Old 02-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

Wowweee! The mother lode! (or should I say grandmother lode??)
Old 02-09-2011, 05:03 PM

Awesome that you have those beautiful quilts! Sorry, i'm not qualified to offer advice, but I sure think they are pretty.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:20 PM

About 4 years ago, I inherited a quilt top that my grandmother made in the late 1930's or early 1940's. It sat in my Mom's closet for over 30 years after my grandmother died because my Mom didn't know what to do with it. She finally gave it to me. I, too, had no idea what to do with it, but figured it would look better finished than it looked sitting unseen in a drawer.

I went to the LQS and chose a backing fabric (with assistance from the LQS staff), took it to a local long arm quilter, and quilted it. I was able to show it to my Mom, and have a picture of her holding it. My 'grands' all get to sleep under it when they visit, and have "oooohhhhed' and 'ahhhed' over it several times when I remind them of its age and its history.

To get to the point - a quilt top in a drawer is never used, appreciated or loved - or perhaps it is loved so much that it is never finished and appreciated by anyone but the person who owns the drawer. Choose fabrics that you think will go well with the and finish them up.

You won't be sorry. I enjoy looking at my quilt inheritance, and look forward to passing it to my younger daughter one day. She's already asked for it!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:26 PM

I have quilts my mom pieced and quilted 30 years ago and she never put borders on them. I don't think that was common then, so I wouldn't worry about borders. And the quilt tops you have are beautiful!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:29 PM

so beautiful
Old 02-09-2011, 05:36 PM

Cathyvv gave some excellant advice! Please see that these wonderful gifts from your Grandmother get finished! You will not regret one second spent on it! They are absolutely fabulous!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:38 PM

Wow what a bonanza. How exciting for you to be able to work on your grandmothers quilts. Just take your time, ask for help at your LQS and go for it. Lucky you.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:58 PM

grandmother made those quilts without a border for a reason. i suggest you do not add any. some of those are georgeous. you have quite the treasure there.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:01 PM

Let each one speak to you. Some of them want borders. Don't be afraid to use modern fabrics for the borders, just avoid modern prints.