The inventor of the
Boston Block piecing method
Today, I would like to feature a new piecing technique called Boston Blocks by one of our message board users -- Rhonda Woodsmall (board user name Rhonda).
What is Boston Block all about?
Here is a simple explanation Rhonda gives about her method, in her own words:
Most people look at what I do and say:
"Oh! I could never do that!"
"It amazes me what you can do with some of these "blocks."
And I always say:
"With the right tricks of the trade you can! It is an optical illusion, and you can do it easier than it looks."
That's what it's all about: an easy method to create complex-looking quilt blocks.
In short, traditional piecing is basically cutting pieces of fabric and then sewing them together. This forces you to mess around with tiny pieces of fabric. Having to deal with tiny scraps is the primary reason why a lot of new quilters get frustrated with anything but the most basic designs.
But with Boston Blocks, you cut swatches of fabric, sew swatches together, cut out a square, and you end up with a "block" that has small pieces already joined within the square. The cool thing about this method is that you can make quilt blocks with a lot of intricate divisions inside the block. To do it in a normal piecing manner would take a lot of skill and time, but with Boston Blocks, you can make some amazingly-looking blocks in just a few easy steps. I'll show you pictures with some examples below.
When making Boston Blocks, you don't have to cut out any triangles and don't have to fiddle with sewing them together. You also don't have to spend all that time cutting out each and every little piece using different size templates, like you do with traditional piecing. Here, you seam two pieces of fabric, add the third one and cut -- you have a Boston Block. And any leftovers you end up with can be recycled into the next "blocks".
Rhonda is an active quilting message board user. If you frequent the board, I'm sure you've seen some of her work. But if not, here are some pictures showing what you can accomplish by using this technique:
These blocks look pretty complex, don't they? Well, the Boston Blocks method makes it easy to create complex looking quilt blocks! That's the main benefit. It will take you minutes, not hours to make blocks like that! Even if you are a newbie!
Here are some pictures of finished items. You'll be able to make stuff like that!
http://www.quiltingboard.com/article...bb/item_03.jpg http://www.quiltingboard.com/article...bb/item_05.jpg http://www.quiltingboard.com/article...bb/item_04.jpg
Rhonda created a tutorial explaining how to make Boston Blocks, and now she has expanded that idea into an e-book that includes a lot more of the possibilities of how to use those blocks in your own quilting adventures! The e-book is called Playing With Boston Blocks, and you can download it instantly.
It's fully illustrated. Lots of images. So if you are a visual person, you'll be surprised by the great amount of pictures that accompany the directions.
The e-book contains three parts. First, it explains the actual technique of making the Boston Block. The second part walks you through the process of creation of a complete project using this method. You'll learn to make hot pads. It's a simple item that lets you practice the technique, so that you can quickly master it and make any item you want.
And the third part of the e-book contains a gallery of pictures showing different designs for hot pads, purses, eyeglass cases, billets, checkbook covers, and tote bags. So not only will you master this technique, you'll also gain some inspiration for your future projects.
Playing With Boston Blocks also includes a full-page diagram for Boston Blocks and Half-Square Triangles, so you can print it out and be on your way to creating blocks right away.
Here is what you will be able to achieve once you read Playing With Boston Blocks:
• You'll discover a completely new piecing method.
• Boston Blocks method is great both for beginners and for experts. It's easy enough for a beginner, but let's you create designs that not even every expert can match.
• So if you are a seasoned quilter, you'll add Boston Blocks to your arsenal of techniques. And if you are a newbie, you'll be able to start making truly amazing blocks right away, because it's so easy.
• You'll be able to make miniature blocks with amazing level of precision without having to spend a lot of time and effort messing around with tiny scraps of fabric.
• It works not just for miniatures, you'll piece blocks of any size -- from miniatures to a 12" quilt block.
• Such projects don't take a lot of time to do -- fit them in when you want something to do in between those big quilts.
• Great way to use up all those pesky scraps that are hiding in your closet storage bins. So absolutely no fabric is wasted. Any scrap that is left over from other projects will go to good use.
• You'll get original designs with quick and easy shortcuts.
• Any time you need to make a small gift for someone (especially if it needs to be done quickly), you'll know exactly what to make. And it will be a truly unique gift (since not many people know this technique yet).
• If you've already made a lot of quilts for your friends and close ones, you might surprise them with a few miniatures. They might expect you to make them more quilts, but miniature items would really make an unexpected gift.
• If you are a professional quilter or make quilts for sale at mall stands or flea markets. Make some of these projects for your next craft fair! The small piecing is an attention getter! It's unique. It helps attract people to you. And then, you can sell them larger quilts. Just price the miniatures at $7-$10 each and watch them sell!
• You'll learn to make blocks with perfect alignment of detail the easy way. Your work will look as if you've spent days perfectly fitting each piece of fabric, but in reality, you'll be able to make such blocks in minutes.
• You will "wow!" your friends. You can be the one saying: "it's easy, no really!"
Playing With Boston Blocks is made available exclusively to the members of this community and not offered anywhere else. So you'll be the first one in your quilt guild to use this technique. You'll simply "wow" all your quilting buddies with the level of skill you'll be able to demonstrate. Since they won't know just how easy it is to do. And imagine if later on, after showing them your work, you'll actually teach them how to do it. You'll be the star!
Every time I recommend something to my subscribers -- I try to make it special. And this time is no exception. Right now, this e-book is only offered to people who frequent the QuiltingBoard.com forum and read the Quilted Paradise newsletter. It's going to be offered to other quilting communities at a much later date. But you can get it today for only $29.95.
$29.95 is really a great deal for all this information. If you were to hire an instructor, it would take at least 3 classes for you to cover this material. With each class costing up to $25.00, you would end up paying up to $75.00. But more importantly, you wouldn't be able to hire an instructor for this technique. Even if you wanted to. Because Rhonda invented Boston Blocks, and no one else teaches this way of piecing yet.
Normally, Rhonda would charge $60.00 to $80.00 for the lessons, but she agreed to help anyone who orders Playing With Boston Blocks for free. So if you have any questions, you know that you'll always be able to get help straight from the source.
Think about it, when was the last time you ordered a book and were able to talk to the author directly? It doesn't get any better than this. And you get to learn all that for only 1/3rd of what it would normally cost you. Not to mention that making and selling just a few of such miniatures would pay for this e-book. Or if you make some items to give away as gifts, it would save you the money you'll have paid for Playing With Boston Blocks just as quickly.
And unlike a quilting class, with this e-book you can study the technique in a comfort of your own home at your own pace. So you can go over the material and try out each step as slowly (and thoroughly) or as quickly (and lightly) as you want. But if you ever have a question or if something is unclear, Rhonda is right here on the message board to help you out.
Another important point to keep in mind is that a part of the revenue from the sales of this e-book goes to the author, while another part goes towards covering the maintenance of this newsletter and the message board. So by ordering, you not only get to learn an amazing new technique, but you also help this quilting community grow!
Please order below and show your support for our quilting community.
Because it's an electronic book (e-book), you will download it right away -- there is no shipping cost and no need to wait for it to be delivered.
Once you download the e-book onto your computer, you can read it on the screen or print it out. It's all up to you.
But the important thing is that you can be reading it and learning a new technique in just minutes from now.
Click the order button below to get your copy of Playing With Boston Blocks, and you'll be on your way to creating amazing blocks the easy way.
As with anything I recommend, I always offer a 100% money-back guarantee, just to make sure you are completely satisfied with what you buy. The guarantee is valid for two months.
When you order, you have 60 days to try out the techniques Rhonda teaches. That gives you plenty of time, not only to simply read it, but to completely master Boston Blocks. You'll be able to give it a full try and experiment all you want before you have to decide if it's worth your money.
And if for some reason you don't like this e-book, just contact me, and I'll refund your money right away without any questions. You have absolutely nothing to worry about when ordering Playing With Boston Blocks.
So click here to order your copy today for only $29.95. Learn this amazing technique that will make you a better quilter, and at the same time help this quilting community grow!
Treat yourself. You deserve it. Especially since ordering this e-book will cost you much less than taking lessons, and the items you'll be able to create will provide great value.