Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Diabetes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/diabetes-t107427.html)

bgullett 03-13-2011 03:40 PM

Hi everyone, I am a diabetic on an insulin pump. Just wondering how many others are out there with diabetes. How do you control it? Some days are just so hard and others are a breeze.

asmmauer 03-13-2011 03:54 PM

I am diabetic also but mine is controlled by diet I have to watch what I eat. When I lost weight my blood sugar became normal I also had to start exercising .Did aerobic walking the Walk Away The Pounds exercise video . It helped me to get my metabolism going ,I did the three mile walk 3or4 times a week. Between diet and exercise I lost 70 pounds I felt so much better when I lost the weight.

clair 03-13-2011 04:26 PM

count me. I've had it for 3 yrs. not much fun but i,am lucky so far I take metfromin twice and IF could stay on my diet I probably would only need it once a day. I do really good for awhile then something makes me go off my diet then it's really hard for me to get back on. :D

emerald46 03-13-2011 04:27 PM

I control mine with one shot of Lantus, diet and exercise. Since I broke my ankle, the exercise is a recumbent bike. Miss my walks. If I keep doing good, doc will take me off the Lantus this summer.

T-Bones mom 03-13-2011 04:31 PM

I also keep mine under control with metformin and diet. Some days are easier than others.

TwinRiverFarm 03-13-2011 04:45 PM

Hi Barbara! I love my pump! I wish I had an easy answer for control. Are you T1DM? I was diagnosed 30 years ago. For years my doctor has told me that I needed to accept that having a "predictable routine" to my day would help. Hard to do with a family, full time (high stress) job, etc. Finally I retired last fall, got a dog that needs daily walks, and am trying to keep myself on a schedule for a change. Quilting helps me stay busy, and it is relaxing. Hardest thing for me is not judging myself harshly if a blood count is high, but using it as a chance to check my basal rates and habits. Feel free to PM me on your tough days and I will give you a shoulder to lean on.

sunflower126 03-13-2011 05:34 PM

Count me among your numbers for about 3 years now. Try to control with meds and exercise and diet. Have a difficult time with getting the morning # where they want it no matter what I eat the night before. Any suggestions would be helpful. Joined Curves a few months ago, have the walking video by Leslie Sanome. It's good but sure gets boring.

Country1 03-13-2011 05:43 PM

Insulin and oral meds. They found mine 3 1/2yrs ago. I had a heart attack without symptoms and had a triple by-pass. what a gift for my 39th birthday, uh? Been a hilly battle but I have a wonderful husband who is very supportive.

Dolphyngyrl 03-13-2011 06:53 PM

only had mine when i was pregnant, and it was diet controlled

TanyaLynn 03-13-2011 07:08 PM

5 years now. Can't walk due to back problems. Take RX when blood sugar is over 150, but RX makes my blood sugar drop like a rock, so I always take it with a sweet. Other RX makes my blood sugar rise; I could control with diet only if I didn't have the other medications. Go figure.