Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Camping and Quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/camping-quilting-t125025.html)

skothing 05-22-2011 05:17 PM

With all the great minds out there I am interested in how you still quilt and camp.. I am thinking of having to switch to hand piecing to keep up with my projects. Pictures would help, too. Thanks for any ideas.

hopetoquilt 05-22-2011 05:20 PM

bring some almost done quilts and do the hand binding, bring some blocks to do applique.

Gramof6 05-22-2011 05:30 PM

Applique is perfect to take along. Handquilting has gone with me many times if it is cool out.

lallyann 05-22-2011 05:34 PM

I am planning on working on bindings when we camp and/or travel this summer. I am so excited! I have 4 quilts at the long-arm quilter now, and I can't wait to get them back and get them ready to be binded during trips!

Melrose R 05-22-2011 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by lallyann
I am planning on working on bindings when we camp and/or travel this summer. I am so excited! I have 4 quilts at the long-arm quilter now, and I can't wait to get them back and get them ready to be binded during trips!

Great idea, I have a few I'm waiting for as well....I think I'll bring them with me!

stpatmom 05-22-2011 06:07 PM

I have done the quilt and camp thing every year. I take my babylock audrey machine and some extension cords and go to town! i usually will only work on smaller projects, or blocks, not something too big. I also put down a vinyl table cloth. I have used both the picnic table provided and a folding table.

We only have a small pop up camper so no place to sew in there! At night or when we leave the site, I lock my machine up in the car.

samifel 05-22-2011 06:31 PM

We are heading out for 8 weeks this summer on the motorcycle and there is no room for quilting stuff. We will be camping all the way. So.....I am taking the 2 quilts we will use that right now are just tied and I plan to quilt them. We quilters learned a long time ago how to think outside the box. So if I have to I can put the needles and thread and a few safety pins in my pocket that's what I'll do.

suebee 05-22-2011 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by skothing
With all the great minds out there I am interested in how you still quilt and camp.. I am thinking of having to switch to hand piecing to keep up with my projects. Pictures would help, too. Thanks for any ideas.

We are going camping in August for 14 days, lucky for us we are staying in a campground with full hookups, so I'll be taking my machine! Yahooo! But for you if you dont have that option I would take maybe some applique or like someone else said, take something that may just need binding to be complete. Lots of fun hand things to do while camping. Oh, another option would be to make a bunch of yoyo's or take some english paper piecing. Most importantly, relax and enjoy!!

Lorae Radunz 05-22-2011 08:25 PM

When we camp, I take my portable sewing machine along. If it's nice weather,I go out & sew on the picnic table,if not, I stay in the camper & sew.You should see the people look when I'm outside sewing.Some days I have quite a crowd watching me. I also do take breaks, so I can enjoy the normal camping fun things to do.

Airwick156 05-22-2011 11:38 PM

I take my machine with me too. My husband seems to fall asleep around 6 pm and that is WAY WAY too early for me to go to bed and so I put my machine up on the picnic table and start sewing away. I also do get people stopping by to see what I am sewing. A few years ago, I took crocheting....and crocheted an afghan. This year I hope that I can take my cutting board, some fabric, rotary cutter, ruler and some ziploc bags and get a bunch of quilts cut out and put into kits for my personal use. :)