Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "New" quilt looks old (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%22new%22-quilt-looks-old-t125803.html)

Gayle 05-26-2011 04:44 AM

Just finished a baby quilt that I was hoping to give as a gift. After prewashing the fabric, using a blue marker and washing again after finishing it, it looks like a well used quilt. How can I get that "new" look back again or is it hopeless???

vjengels 05-26-2011 04:46 AM

You could try 'pressing' ( not ironing) with starch, see what that does. Good luck

feline fanatic 05-26-2011 05:00 AM

What kind of batting did you use? If it was anything other than poly you will not be able to press the puckers out because your batting shrunk and gave the well used look to your washed quilt. Additionally 100% cotton thread also has a bit of shrinkage causing these small wrinkles along your quilting stitches. Personally I like this look. Give the quilt with all the love you intended. My view is it is better to give the quilt washed so any changes in appearance are already there and the intended recipient does not think they "ruined" it or did something wrong after their first washing.

bigsister63 05-26-2011 05:03 AM

What is the quality of fabric you used? There is an on going discussion about LQS/name brand fabric vs "other" less expensive fabric. If you used the less expensive fabric then that could be the cause! And is a good testimonial to using LQS or name brand fabric!

QuiltE 05-26-2011 05:06 AM

As your title says ... you now have a new/old quilt!

lynnsim 05-26-2011 05:06 AM

Yes, I would try ironing & starching the quilt. Personally, I like the "old" look myself and believe the receipient would love the quilt no matter what.

Marion T 05-26-2011 05:12 AM

Some people try hard to get this look - the antique look! Personally, I like this look. Its a shame you feel it detracts from the look of the quilt. I wouldn't starch or press, it will wash out again with the first wash. There is still a lot of work and a lot of love in the quilt, give it as it is.

Tartan 05-26-2011 05:13 AM

I would give the quilt with a little note attached. It could say, "I just made this little quilt especially for your little one and I've pre-washed it to remove any chemicals used in the fabric manufacture process."

erstan947 05-26-2011 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Marion T
Some people try hard to get this look - the antique look! Personally, I like this look. Its a shame you feel it detracts from the look of the quilt. I wouldn't starch or press, it will wash out again with the first wash. There is still a lot of work and a lot of love in the quilt, give it as it is.

I agree. I want the washed look:)

twinkle 05-26-2011 05:51 AM

I was going to say too a lot of people like the crinkly look so i'm sure they will love it. My teacher even puts hers in the sun to fade them to get a more antique look.