Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Happy Coincidences (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/happy-coincidences-t128650.html)

Jennalyn 06-06-2011 08:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't you just love it when things work out as though you'd planned them that way?

My good friend Hanna's birthday is in June and she's coming to visit in late July. I'm in Maryland and she's in California, so it's not very often that we get to see each other. She tries to make a point of visiting at least once a year during the summer.

I decided on my way home from the doctor today to stop in Tuesday Morning, just in case they had any cute fabric with blue (her favorite color) as a focus. There was a nice jelly roll there with four different fabrics for $15 with lots of blues and greens. Perfect! I picked it up, brought it home, and unrolled everything.

Low and behold, the two prints are nature/hippie/recycling/animal themed. All of these are pretty much her favorite things! She's studying to be a biochemist and is very environmentally conscious, especially living where she does by the water in California. Swirls are also one of her favorite patterns. Plus, the green fabric sort of resembles funky cells like the ones she's working with in the lab. Score, right? I hadn't realized when I bought it - I just liked the colors!

Then I search a bunch of jelly roll patterns and send her some links to paw through for a pattern she might like. About ten minutes after sending the email, I re-stumble across a Missouri Star Quilting tutorial using jelly rolls and tube quilting to make a really fun-looking quilt. I've been wanting to try tube quilting for a while now! I send her an email basically saying "I know I said to pick whatever pattern you wanted, but I reeeeally think this one might be fun..." and she totally bites. Perfect.

And then. Then! After sewing the first set of blocks! I realize that the quilt pattern is called Summer in the Park. Well, her Mom works for the state parks and she volunteers there every summer. Add to that the general nature theme of the fabrics and the fact that I'm giving it to her for her summer birthday?

Really. I ask you. How cool is all that? :mrgreen:

I totally planned it that way. Riiiight. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Anybody else want to share a "happy coincidence" for a nice feel-good?

BrendaY 06-06-2011 09:20 PM

Now that's really a great story to go along with her quilt. Lovely!

blahel 06-06-2011 09:29 PM

that quilt is meant to be!!

coloradosky 06-06-2011 11:25 PM

Love your material and story. The pattern you picked out is perfect for the occasion.

Bonbonary 06-06-2011 11:32 PM

Very pretty. She will enjoy the quilt and the story.

trif 06-06-2011 11:33 PM

Love it when things work out, have fun making the quilt, I'm sure she will love it.

SueDor 06-07-2011 02:11 AM

Cute story!

fayza 06-07-2011 02:18 AM

Nothing better than a quilt with meaning :)

justlooking 06-07-2011 02:45 AM

Great story!

alikat110 06-07-2011 03:00 AM

Fate. That quilt is meant to happen