Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Banna Bread ?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/banna-bread-t129252.html)

true4uca 06-09-2011 12:05 PM

I've made two banna breads Both times the sides were really crusty.First time I used my faveroite loaf pan, thicker metal. This time I used a thin cheapo loaf pan,paper lined. Still real crusty sides. Sure makes slicing difficult. It was still slightly warm. It says to rest in pan 10 minutes after removing fron oven. Do you think this is the problem. I reduced baking time by 5 minutes, didn't help.

DebraK 06-09-2011 12:09 PM

what kind of shortening are you using?

true4uca 06-09-2011 12:41 PM

I used Canola oil. Is that a no no.

QuiltE 06-09-2011 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by true4uca
I used Canola oil. Is that a no no.

Did the recipe call for oil? or shortening?

And too, it could be the recipe is meant to be a harder bread, and not the soft banana loaf we oft think about.

And there could be a whole bunch of other reasons why it is hard ... oven, cook time, wrong flour, inaccurate measuring, substitutions, error in original recipe, etc.

DebraK 06-09-2011 12:48 PM

I'm just trying to figure out why it is so crusty. Do you use a serrated knife to cut the bread? That might help.

QuiltE 06-09-2011 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK
I'm just trying to figure out why it is so crusty. Do you use a serrated knife to cut the bread? That might help.

I agree with you that it could be a substitution ... also, see above, for several other possibilities.

jrhboxers 06-09-2011 01:23 PM

I had the same problem when I was baking banana bread - dark, hard crust. I started experimenting with lowering the temp a little and raising the time a little. I now know that I need to lower the temp 15* and add on ~7 minutes. I now have a nicely done loaf, baked all the way through with a nicely brown crust which is somewhat crisp on the top but soft and firm on the sides.

HTH

ETA - you really should be able to substitute liquid shortening for solid shortening without a problem. I have substitued cooking oil for stick margarine before and have never really had a problem.

Your best bet would be to go back to the receipt as written and start over.

magpie 06-09-2011 02:11 PM

I always wrap my loaves in foil before they are completely cool, this helps keep the sides and top softer.

GirlieWhirlie 06-09-2011 03:13 PM

I use stoneware and add about 10 minutes more time. It cooks evenly with no crunch on the edges.

Carol's Quilts 06-09-2011 03:31 PM

Many times crustiness indicates too much sugar in the recipe.

As magpie suggested, try wrapping them while still hot until they are completely cool but I would use a tea towel instead of foil so that some of the steam escapes. I would also brush them with a little melted butter all over before wrapping. This is also a good hint for anyone who wants homemade bread to have a soft crust.