Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Conquering my fear of curves!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/conquering-my-fear-curves-t131961.html)

doowopddbop 06-20-2011 04:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Have you ever made a quilt block with curves that ended up looking like a "B" cup? I did. Once. About 6 years ago. And have not bothered to give it a try since. Until now! I am hooked! At AccuQuilt's Let's Go! Retreat earlier this month in Fremont Nebraska, one of the classes they taught used the Drunkard's Path die. Finally! Smooth cuts, perfect curves, a little notch in the center to line up the pieces, and the blocks nearly made themselves! In fact, the blocks went together so quickly, that the retreat hosts, Country Traditions, allowed those who finished a quilt top to actually quilt them on one of their Handi-Quilter machines there at the shop. I took them up on it, and within a couple of hours had it quilted. I put the binding on and hand stitched it on the long drive back home.

I am cured! I love these curves! Everything fits together without hills and valleys. And it appears that the design possibilities are endless. Have you made a quilt with curves? How do you feel about them?

Drunkard's Path, 56 x 56
[ATTACH=CONFIG]214609[/ATTACH]

nyelphaba 06-20-2011 04:46 PM

You made a beautiful, bright quilt. Good job.

EasyPeezy 06-20-2011 04:49 PM

Beautiful quilt. Love the colors too. Haven't tried any curves yet but would like to. One of these days. :D

alikat110 06-20-2011 04:50 PM

Fantastic quilt.

earthwalker 06-20-2011 04:53 PM

Looks great...there's no stopping you now. I haven't tackled curves yet (well not using a machine), so your post has given me hope.

jillnjo 06-20-2011 04:58 PM

I love that quilt!!And the curves are perfect. I've never tried curves,but always loved Drunkard Path. One I want to do.

nativetexan 06-20-2011 04:58 PM

oh l love drunkards path blocks. don't mind curves at all.

PaperPrincess 06-20-2011 05:00 PM

Beautiful quilt! I have the accucut studio Winding Ways die. I've made a couple of practice blocks, and I'm looking for the perfect fabric for my quilt. I agree that the dies make assembly a breeze.

Rebecca VLQ 06-20-2011 05:01 PM

That is a beautiful hot salsa quilt! :D

CristyK1 06-20-2011 05:02 PM

Love your quilt. Love the colors. Drunkards Path is on my Quilting Bucket List. Might have to buy this die for my mom's system.

I'm about to do my first curved quilt. I'm doing a Yin Yang quilt.

Originally Posted by doowopddbop
Have you ever made a quilt block with curves that ended up looking like a "B" cup? I did. Once. About 6 years ago. And have not bothered to give it a try since. Until now! I am hooked! At AccuQuilt's Let's Go! Retreat earlier this month in Fremont Nebraska, one of the classes they taught used the Drunkard's Path die. Finally! Smooth cuts, perfect curves, a little notch in the center to line up the pieces, and the blocks nearly made themselves! In fact, the blocks went together so quickly, that the retreat hosts, Country Traditions, allowed those who finished a quilt top to actually quilt them on one of their Handi-Quilter machines there at the shop. I took them up on it, and within a couple of hours had it quilted. I put the binding on and hand stitched it on the long drive back home.

I am cured! I love these curves! Everything fits together without hills and valleys. And it appears that the design possibilities are endless. Have you made a quilt with curves? How do you feel about them?