Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   free motion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/free-motion-t137430.html)

linda701 07-13-2011 03:36 PM

How hard is it to learn free motion by myself? I went to the library and checked out a book on it. I Know how to set my machine up for it and have played around a little bit. Do I need to take a class? Thanks for any replys.

Peckish 07-13-2011 03:39 PM

You could check out YouTube for FMQ videos - there's a ton of them on there. If you're more comfortable in a class setting, where you can ask questions and possibly get 1-on-1 instruction, that might work for you, too. I'd check out the videos first - they're FREE!

Peckish 07-13-2011 03:39 PM

You could check out YouTube for FMQ videos - there's a ton of them on there. If you're more comfortable in a class setting, where you can ask questions and possibly get 1-on-1 instruction, that might work for you, too. I'd check out the videos first - they're FREE!

QuiltnNan 07-13-2011 03:39 PM

you can learn it by yourself. mostly, it takes practice, practice, practice. some folks learn by doodling/squiggling on paper or dry erase board. best wishes.

hobbykat1955 07-13-2011 03:40 PM

Everyone tells you to practice, practice, practice on samples but I've practiced until I'm blue and sticking with SID...and cheating and using my built in quilt FM stitches in my machine

leatheflea 07-13-2011 04:04 PM

I found that practicing on paper doesnt help me. I like to practice on my machine. I've never took a class maybe we should, but theres nothing out there you cant teach yourself. I spend hours sometimes just doodling with my sewing machine. Videos are helpful. Everyone learns differently so you just need to figure out what works best for you. Good luck!

Kieta 07-13-2011 04:15 PM

Youtube is awesome. a fmq class can be helpful but they really only give you the basics on how to set up your machine, std & following lines on a paper. that was my experience at any rate. sounds like you may have that already. i never doodled on paper until the past few months. i have been fmq for the past 3 years. i was very happy with the results of doodling. it really helped me define my feathers and some swirls i wanted to try. be patient with yourself. it does take practice but it's not hard. mostly just have fun!

nativetexan 07-13-2011 04:18 PM

a class would be great if you can find one. you can learn by yourself but doing a class gives you more confidence.

mzmama 07-13-2011 04:22 PM

Don't be afraid is the key to FM I find. If you are tense than you are going to have very tired muscles when you are through. I agree watching Youtube is a lot of fun and will be you in the mood to go for it.

noveltyjunkie 07-13-2011 04:22 PM

If you can find a class, I would recommend it. I am teaching myself and finding it much more challenging than I thought it would be. It is an artistic and a technical headache (a new headache every day, in fact) and the right teacher could help A LOT!

Good luck whatever you decide.