Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   carpet vs. wood floor in your sewing room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/carpet-vs-wood-floor-your-sewing-room-t138914.html)

sewmagic 07-20-2011 03:17 AM

If you have wood do you like it in your sewing room vs. carpet? Or would you prefer the carpet. What are your preferences and why? We will have our carpets removed (one day) just wanted to know the pros and cons with wood or carpet.

QuiltnNan 07-20-2011 03:26 AM

i removed my carpet and installed laminate. it is so much easier to clean up [and see that it needs cleaning]. not only are there pieces of thread and fabric, but the dust from sewing needs more cleaning than i would do with the carpet.

NJ Quilter 07-20-2011 03:26 AM

I have a wood floor with an area rug in the center of the (very small) room. Like both. Mind you, the dust bunnies get quite thick as I'm not a frequent (weekly) cleaner. I suck them up with the vac as far as it will reach. My threads and scraps seem to vac up fine on the carpet but it's a very low pile while still being of the 'plush' variety vs. berber or something else really low pile.

sueisallaboutquilts 07-20-2011 03:34 AM

Mine is carpeted. I have one of those office mat things for my chair area. Works fine for me.

SueSew 07-20-2011 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
I have a wood floor with an area rug in the center of the (very small) room. Like both. Mind you, the dust bunnies get quite thick as I'm not a frequent (weekly) cleaner. I suck them up with the vac as far as it will reach. My threads and scraps seem to vac up fine on the carpet but it's a very low pile while still being of the 'plush' variety vs. berber or something else really low pile.

Ditto- area rug is nice and comfy to stand on, vacs up well, and if I drop a piece of fabric on it it the fabric doesn't suck up every little nit of dirt - the nits stay on the rug. I am rigorous about running a magnet over it for pins and I vac every week. I use one of those damp-mop things to pick up the wood floor. I don't let people in with their street shoes if I can help it. No pets! Maybe that's why my son calls it the 'quilting lab'?

MTS 07-20-2011 03:45 AM

I've had wood and tile. Loved the ease in cleaning both. Especially after an intensive removal of paper from a pp project! Just easily sweep it up and DONE!

I'd suggest anything except the carpeting if you're redoing the room and have the choice to redo the floors.

Thusnelda 07-20-2011 03:47 AM

Wood floor and I love it, wouldn't want it any other way. It's much easier and quicker to clean. I have wood floor in all my rooms in my flat, only the kitchen and bathroom have tiles. With three cats it's hard enough to keep it moderately clean, couldn't imagine to cope with carpet.

leatheflea 07-20-2011 04:00 AM

Ceramic tile here. Easy to clean and those pins that I drop(about 20 a day) wont stick in my bare feet!

Heather Hayllar 07-20-2011 04:09 AM

I have had a few sewing rooms and my favourites are NON-carpet, easier to clean and to see where all the threads are.

Izaquilter 07-20-2011 04:51 AM

guess it's a personal preference! I love carpet under my feet. Just the thought of tile or wood floors makes me think of cold feet! Pins come up with a magnet & threads are easily picked up with a quick swipe of the vacuum. Or masking tape!