Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My mandala quilt design (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-mandala-quilt-design-t143084.html)

k3n 08-06-2011 09:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I started a thread couple of days ago about making one of these here http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-142765-1.htm

I've now drawn my design onto Steam a Seam 2, I'm going to cut a background square around WOF square so 42" and then cut this pattern up to use as applique templates.

This is an 18" square of Steam a Seam, divided into 8 sections across both central axes and the two diagonals. I then started drawing my design using pencil, ruler and a pair of compasses. The ONLY rule is everything you draw in one section, you must duplicate in the other sections. :-D Although because I am going to applique these sections, I tried to keep the pieces a workable size and not too many really sharp points.

It's very static and geometric at this stage, so as to facilitate the applique. I will leave gaps between the pieces and when the applique is done, I will add more organic detail with FMQ. :-D

Jan in VA 08-06-2011 09:33 AM

That is so pretty! And gives me ideas for a quilt this fall.
Can't wait to see your progress!

Jan in VA

RUSewing 08-06-2011 09:41 AM

You designed a beautiful quilt. One question = what did you mean by organic by FMQ?

thanks 4 the info :)

k3n 08-06-2011 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by RUSewing
You designed a beautiful quilt. One question = hatt did you mean by organic by FMQ?

thanks 4 the info :)

Thank you! By 'organic' I meant more flowing, curvy, naturalistic shapes rather than the geometric shapes of the applique. Traditional mandalas feature both kinds of shape. :-D

I've just cut and pressed my background square - Kona black! I pressed lines across both axes and diagonals to give me placement guidelines for the applique pieces but I'll have to stop as DH has just gone out to get take out for dinner. :-( :lol: :-D I'll post my progress as I go though then hopefully it will serve as a tute as well for any who'd like to give this a go! :-D

np3 08-06-2011 09:54 AM

Okay, I don't have my fabric selection for the last one and you are tempting me again! I look forward to seeing how this one turns out!

feffertim 08-06-2011 10:12 AM

this is going to be wonderful. I have several mandala coloring books I have colored and I so enjoy doing that. Don't think I have the skill for a quilt tho

bjchad 08-06-2011 10:15 AM

Looks very pretty. Will look forward to seeing this both in progress and finished.

np3 08-06-2011 10:48 AM

Will this one be a pattern?

k3n 08-06-2011 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by np3

Well it's more of a technique - these should really be individually drawn by the creator, it's a little bit the idea of them. I thought of posting my progress step by step though so that others could try it if they liked. If you can draw with a ruler and compasses, do applique and FMQ you can make one - you could even do embroidery if you didn't want to FMQ. It's a kind of make it up as you go along thing. I have no idea how this will turn out - it might not even work, it's just an idea I had. But that is what makes it fun. :-D What's the worse that could happen? I waste a bit of fabric! Not the end of the world. :mrgreen: :-D

np3 08-06-2011 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by k3n

Originally Posted by np3

Well it's more of a technique - these should really be individually drawn by the creator, it's a little bit the idea of them. I thought of posting my progress step by step though so that others could try it if they liked. If you can draw with a ruler and compasses, do applique and FMQ you can make one - you could even do embroidery if you didn't want to FMQ. It's a kind of make it up as you go along thing. I have no idea how this will turn out - it might not even work, it's just an idea I had. But that is what makes it fun. :-D What's the worse that could happen? I waste a bit of fabric! Not the end of the world. :mrgreen: :-D

I can do almost anything with fabric when I see something already made up. And I can change it to my personality. I love FMQ too. But the original design defeats me. I draw straight lines and I am so anal that I am never satisfied.