Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   One Day Prayer Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/one-day-prayer-quilt-t143186.html)

Krystyna 08-06-2011 04:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
My husband and I - and our two dogs - go to a seaside dog park almost every day. You meet people. Chat. Rarely do we know anyone's proper name except for "Fido's Mother" or "Sparky's Dad". But somehow we learned one man's name and soon learned that he is battling with brain cancer. He is "Rooster's Dad" and Rooster is a husky-type wolfish looking pup.

When my husband came home from the park yesterday afternoon and asked if I had extra jam because Rooster's Dad mentioned he liked it, I said sure. And then my eyes fell on some left over fabric. I started cutting and sewing and quilting and today it was done. We brought it to the park with a permanent marker and asked people to sign it and pray. At first they were a little confused, but then they really filled up a little muslin square on the back. The amazing thing was that as each person came to sign it, he or she got quiet and touched the quilt tenderly. You could tell they were praying.

Rooster's Dad, aka Roberto, wasn't there today, but his girl friend was. She had tears in her eyes when she saw it. She told us that they had just moved here from the city a couple of years ago and Roberto complained that he had no friends here but, she said, the dog park saved his sanity. It was a place where he was sociable, where he was happy.

I don't really know Rooster's Dad, but it doesn't matter. Prayer and kindness cross all boundaries and this little quilt brought all of us closer together.

Rooster
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237572[/ATTACH]

Rooster's Mom getting a few last signatures
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237575[/ATTACH]

Granny Quilter 08-06-2011 04:45 PM

What a loving thing to do. He will be touched, and after he is gone the girlfriend will treasure it always.
Alicia

hopetoquilt 08-06-2011 04:46 PM

Very cool story. Excellent idea. I love the quote, "prayer changes everything." I bookmarked this and would like to do something similar in the future.

debcavan 08-06-2011 04:46 PM

Prayers and kindness do cross all boundries. It is a beautiful quilt.

anothernancy 08-06-2011 04:48 PM

Wow! You are amazing! How wonderful of you to do that for him!! Beautiful quilt!!

oksewglad 08-06-2011 04:48 PM

Krytyna--this is far above being "normal". What a giving heart you have.

sapdoggie 08-06-2011 04:49 PM

Thanks for caring about Rooster's Dad.

Prayer is always welcome. You and your hubby have been a blessing to others and will receive blessings in return.

Prayer for all.

magnolia 08-06-2011 04:50 PM

This was very nice. I laughed a little about you not knowing the human's names. I take my dogs to the dog park and do the same thing. I only know them as "Benji's dad" or "Molly's mom", etc.

jdiane318 08-06-2011 04:51 PM

Your kindness will long be remembered than anything else other than Rooster. Pretty dog.

erstan947 08-06-2011 04:51 PM

I believe in the power of prayer. What a kind and caring friend you are♥