Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Frugal tip of the day (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/frugal-tip-day-t146906.html)

raedar63 08-21-2011 07:51 PM

Let's hear your frugal tips, You know the more we save the more we can spend on fabric!

My tip
Fill a small spray bottle with your regular dish soap. 1-2 squirts will amaze you at how much suds it makes, I have not had to buy dishsoap in months! I used to go through a bottle every few weeks, I don't have a dishwasher .I am anxious to hear all of your tips :)

Quilter Lois 08-21-2011 07:56 PM

do the same with a small amount - like 1/4 cup -in a spray bottle and use it instead of aerosol starch.

raedar63 08-21-2011 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter Lois
do the same with a small amount - like 1/4 cup -in a spray bottle and use it instead of aerosol starch.

You mean dishsoap as starch? do you mix anything with it?

annturley 08-21-2011 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter Lois

I don't think this is such a good idea.

wolfkitty 08-21-2011 08:32 PM

I think she meant to do this with starch (NO detergent) to make the starch last longer. At least I hope so.

You can buy starch in a refill bottle rather rather than the aerosol.

Moonpi 08-21-2011 08:34 PM

Be very careful - some dish soaps contain bleach.

raedar63 08-21-2011 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
I think she meant to do this with starch (NO detergent) to make the starch last longer. At least I hope so.

You can buy starch in a refill bottle rather rather than the aerosol.

Oh yes that makes sense, I didn't know you could buy starch like this.

QuiltnNan 08-22-2011 03:30 AM

keep a list of items needed at the store and only go out once a week. 2-3 gallons of gas = 1 yard of fabric :-)

QultingaddictUK 08-22-2011 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
keep a list of items needed at the store and only go out once a week. 2-3 gallons of gas = 1 yard of fabric :-)

Always make a list for shopping AND keep to it.

My best frugal tip is for cleaning the loo, bathroom n sinks.

Recycle a spray bottle, when empty wash it out and 1/4 fill with bleach and top with water. Spray baths, showers, n sinks.

Don't buy expensive toilet cleaners as bleach is the BEST germ buster and doesn't harm the environment as it is made from sea water, put a couple of slugs IN THE TOILET CYSTERN, lasts for 2 -3 flushes and cleans every part of the loo.

ptquilts 08-22-2011 03:52 AM

I save hand soap scraps and mix them with water until liquid. Keep in a bottle under the sink. When you have a REALLY greasy pan that you normally would squirt extra dish soap into, use this instead. Cuts the grease just as well and it is free.