Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Portable sewing table (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/portable-sewing-table-t147542.html)

gardnergal970 08-24-2011 11:14 AM

I've seen some beautiful sewing set ups but none with the portable sewing tables. Is anyone using them full time? How stable are they? I don't have much room and I want to have a table where I can adjust for my machine and have a level work surface. The cabinets that have that feature are probably $100 more and I don't know if I can trust the quality. I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible so it doesn't eat up the what I've saved for a new quilting machine. Thanks for your help...Esther

jljack 08-24-2011 11:32 AM

There are nice foldable sewing/work tables at JoAnn for about $100 when you have a coupon.

Barb44 08-24-2011 11:37 AM

I used one of those for years. My DD has it now. They work very well. I got mine at a rummage sale for 15.00. That was many years ago - in the 60's.

CoyoteQuilts 08-24-2011 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Barb44
I used one of those for years. My DD has it now. They work very well. I got mine at a rummage sale for 15.00. That was many years ago - in the 60's.

Well, darn Barb, I had to spend $25.00 for mine! LOL...... I want another one, but just haven't bit the bullet yet, because I figure I will need to pay full price. They are worth every penny though!

mpspeedy 08-24-2011 12:00 PM

I have a little plastic table I got from Wal-mart that folds flat and adjusts to three different heights. I take it to retreat with me or if I go somewhere outside my home to sew. I also set it up behind my regular sewing set up when I go to sew a binding on a bed size quilt to support he extra weight and keep it from dragging on the floor. I can also set it up in front of my chair to rest the quilt on when I am doing the hand finishing on the quilt binding while watching TV. I think I paid about $25 for it. Look in the section where they have the furniture for college kids or first apartments. It has a white plastic top and grey metal legs.

echobluff 08-24-2011 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by gardnergal970
I've seen some beautiful sewing set ups but none with the portable sewing tables. Is anyone using them full time? How stable are they? I don't have much room and I want to have a table where I can adjust for my machine and have a level work surface. The cabinets that have that feature are probably $100 more and I don't know if I can trust the quality. I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible so it doesn't eat up the what I've saved for a new quilting machine. Thanks for your help...Esther

Are you talking about a portable sewing table like a Sew Ezi or a Gidget?

laughingquilter 08-24-2011 12:14 PM

I have a Gidget that my Juki lives on and I love it. It's definitely sturdy - I have to add other tables around it if I'm quilting something big but if I'm using it for piecing, the Gidget it great! I think I paid $106 for it including the shipping.

gardnergal970 08-24-2011 12:20 PM

Yes. One with the ability to set the machine into it so it doesn't slide away from me.

quilt addict 08-24-2011 12:23 PM

I use a sew ezi table for my modern machine. It is very stable.

gardnergal970 08-24-2011 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by laughingquilter
I have a Gidget that my Juki lives on and I love it. It's definitely sturdy - I have to add other tables around it if I'm quilting something big but if I'm using it for piecing, the Gidget it great! I think I paid $106 for it including the shipping.

Is there an insert for it? It doesn't look like it from the pictures. How do you manage the gap?