Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Carpal Tunnel & how do you deal with it? Wrist brace, surgery, therapy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/carpal-tunnel-how-do-you-deal-wrist-brace-surgery-therapy-t156794.html)

dublb 09-29-2011 10:12 AM

Last week the Dr. said that the strange & painful feeling In my right hand & arm was caused by a lack of blood flow to the fingers. Probably carpal tunnel. The wrist brace is helping a great deal. (I do not intend to quite doing anything, like quilting! Maybe change the way I do it but not quit.) I see the Dr again on the 7th of Oct.
Do any of ya'll have it & what did ya do about it.

Zhillslady 09-29-2011 10:15 AM

I had the braces made to fit my hand with the steel in them and sleep in them. Allows me a lot more of my day before the pain sets in. Also spread things out. Carpal pain is from repetition. SO I cut a while, sew a while, sew, take a stretching break, etc. Just to break up repeating the same motion over and over. It helps a lot

donnajean 09-29-2011 10:18 AM

Ditto!

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
I had the braces made to fit my hand with the steel in them and sleep in them. Allows me a lot more of my day before the pain sets in. Also spread things out. Carpal pain is from repetition. SO I cut a while, sew a while, sew, take a stretching break, etc. Just to break up repeating the same motion over and over. It helps a lot

Lori S 09-29-2011 10:20 AM

Carpal Tunnel is an inflamation of the tendons. Ice the area to reduce the inflamation , take asprin or Aleve to reduce the swelling of the inflammed area and reduce the pain.
I prefer asprin as its been around a whole lot longer than other over the counter medications.

ptquilts 09-29-2011 10:22 AM

I have braces too that I wear at night. They help.But carpal tunnel is not a lack of blood flow, it is a compression of the nerves going through the carpal tunnel, a structure in your wrist. (BTW, even "pins and needles" is not a lack of blood flow, it is also a nerve problem.)

too many years of quilting, knitting, crocheting, and mine was made worse by sleeping with my hands in weird positions.

marknfran 09-29-2011 10:25 AM

Lot of solutions. Start with an aspirin a day if okayed by doctor; wear the metal hand brace available at most stores in different sizes (get the right size). Wear it whenever you do any lifting, and if it feels comfortable enough, wear it to bed. Soaking your hands up to the elbows once a day for about 20 minutes. As a last resort, surgery. My husband has both hands done (one at a time) when he could no longer ride his Harley. This was 9 years ago.....took about 4 months to get really back into great shape. He is thrilled he had it done...now 66 years old. Also, if you use the internet much, do a search on the carpel tunnel and you can get a lot of education.

jljack 09-29-2011 10:30 AM

I wore a brace 24/7 for 6 weeks and it cured mine.

lynnie 09-29-2011 10:41 AM

did all three, had surgery so i can still quilt
good luck

VaNella 09-29-2011 10:44 AM

I wore braces and gave up knitting and crochet. Quilting doesn't bother me.

VaNella 09-29-2011 10:45 AM

Also gentle physical therapy with tension band. Get a professional to show you how so you don't make it worse.