Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   WARNING TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/warning-everyone-t161850.html)

amyjo 10-20-2011 06:29 AM

Just thought I would share this information with everyone on the board. I got an email last night in my regular email from a relative. This email claimed she was in CYPRUS and in need of $3000.00, because of a crisis situation and could I please send her the money and when she got home she would get it back to me and to NOT TELL anyone about this. So what do you think I did? I emailed the relative and gave her this information that someone was using her to scam people. I told her she should immediately notify everyone she was in contact with that she was not out of the country in CYPRUS and to not answer that email. I also ran a scan to completely go thru my computer to see if there was any activity that was suspicious. So everyone take care with this stuff going on and be careful about going to different sites.

ogama 10-20-2011 06:31 AM

thanks for sharing blessings ogama

charity-crafter 10-20-2011 06:33 AM

That is such an old scam. It's amazing that they still do it. And it's amazing that people still fall for it. The sad part it's usually the older people who aren't familiar with the computer and internet. I have to keep on my mom because she'll believe everthing she reads.

kraftykimberly 10-20-2011 06:36 AM

Email scams just make me go GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

the casual quilter 10-20-2011 06:39 AM

Thanks for letting everyone know.

BellaBoo 10-20-2011 06:39 AM

I wouldn't even think to send money requested in an email even if it had my kids names on it. By the way, I'm getting scam pms here ! The latest one if from Mrs. Joy Gardner wanting to give me millions of dollars to use for good of all. ????

AlwaysQuilting 10-20-2011 06:44 AM

sorry didn't mean to post here. Deleted.

amyjo 10-20-2011 06:52 AM

I have also been getting a lot of strange emails from ME to me. using my email address to send me kooky, kinky crap after I was on a site someone had posted here to go to see something and it turned out to be a place I didn't ever wanted to go to. so I have had issues with that for a while. Just everyone be on the lookout that since everyone the world over can see what we write on here that scams will come. Also I think some of us might be targeted for requests for help with fabric ( I am disabled and can't get out type or have no money please help or we are trying to help this organization with quilts can you help?). Have answered some of them and sent stuff and never heard another word back even saying thank you for your generosity in helping me or (whoever)!!! We know we are kindhearted people for the most part but we are starting to get a lot of the sleazy ones trying to pull something on here now.

frarose 10-20-2011 07:11 AM

A lot of these type scams come from facebook where the user's info is comprimised. I happened with my nephew.

Deborah12687 10-20-2011 07:12 AM

If I don't know them I do not respond to any of that kind of stuff.