Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Ice cream flavors? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ice-cream-flavors-t163359.html)

Pegleg 10-26-2011 06:25 AM

Have you ever wondered how they choose new ice cream flavors?
What have you mixed into ice cream to make your unique flavor? Inquiring minds want to know. I wanted a little ice cream last night. All we had was vanilla. Boring. I looked for something to flavor it with and came up with a crazy combination that was really good.
I mixed in some raisins,about 1/2 teaspoon of Grape Nuts and a smidge of Nestles quik, just enough to give it a little color. Stirred them all together and it was really good. The Grape Nuts made it seem like it had nuts but with just a few calories. I've been on a raisin kick lately and who doesn't like chocolate?

QuiltnNan 10-26-2011 06:28 AM

very inventive

luvTooQuilt 10-26-2011 06:33 AM

Yup, Im boring.. I like vanilla..

but then theres days when:

~ add a can of Pepsi and make a Pepsi float
~ add pineapple tidbits and some of its juice.
~ add some of my homemade blackberry pie filling that I had left over that didn't fit in the pie pan
~ Chop up bananas and top with warm hot fudge

Quiltbeagle 10-26-2011 07:06 AM

I was a chocolate only person too, until I tried Blue Bell vanilla. It's so flavorful nothing has to be added. But, if I'm in one of those moods, chocolate syrup, nuts, M & M's or marshmallows would be a nice addition...or just root beer for a float. Great, now I'm craving ice cream.

loriea 10-26-2011 07:08 AM

Is there any other flavor than chocolate with fudge on top?

Yosamitesa 10-26-2011 07:11 AM

LOL...vanilla and then I add my own Hershey's syrup to make it to my satisifaction of chocolateness. If I have it, I top with RediWhip! :)

Peckish 10-26-2011 07:23 AM

I've been a chocolate lover for most of my life, but I hit a new favorite this summer - Orange sherbert with chocolate chunks. I managed to keep it secret from the kids, but my DH discovered it and we've eaten more ice cream this year....

I'm loving the fact that it's sherbert - I'm lactose intolerant and I don't have to take lactose supplements when I eat sherbert!

traumaRN 10-26-2011 07:47 AM

My DH's favorite flavor is vanilla and I can't think of anything more boring, so I'm always mixing stuff in. I like low sugar strawberry jam, granola, peanut butter and choc chips, and sometimes crushed up cereal like Cookie Crisp.
Another thing that's good is crushed pecans, brown sugar, a little flour and some butter. Cook in a pan and let cool. Makes a praline topping in no time that's very good!

KerryK 10-26-2011 07:51 AM

Vanilla - well, you gotta have the "right" vanilla. My favorites -
Bluebell Homemade Vanilla
Breyers Natual Vanilla
Bluebell Banana Split
Breyers Butter Pecan (tied with Banana Split for my favorites.)

"There's always room for ice cream!" :thumbup:

KerryK 10-26-2011 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by traumaRN
My DH's favorite flavor is vanilla and I can't think of anything more boring, so I'm always mixing stuff in. I like low sugar strawberry jam, granola, peanut butter and choc chips, and sometimes crushed up cereal like Cookie Crisp.
Another thing that's good is crushed pecans, brown sugar, a little flour and some butter. Cook in a pan and let cool. Makes a praline topping in no time that's very good!

That praline topping sounds delicious!