Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   this ? is for garment sewers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/garment-sewers-t163795.html)

Dolphyngyrl 10-27-2011 07:17 PM

I am making a dress, If I don't want to ruin the tissue paper pattern for later use( It has six different sizes) for when my baby gets bigger, do I use a tracing wheel to mark on the fabric, or do you use other paper and trace the pattern on that. Whats your method

sewwhat85 10-27-2011 07:20 PM

i use other paper

amyjo 10-27-2011 07:20 PM

I fold over to whatever size I want and cut very carefully so I don't cut the tissue paper. I have done that all my life sewing and then my patterns are still there in case I want to make the next size.

sewlisa 10-27-2011 07:21 PM

I will fold the pattern to size where I can, and on the curves I will cut under the tissue. Not fool proof, but it works for me.

luvnquilt 10-27-2011 07:22 PM

I buy the product from the fabric store with blue dots that's designed for tracing patterns. There's one without dots too I think. I went really cheap the last time I made pajamas for the kids and used tissue paper. I just trace everything (and I mean everything, including the size and pattern # and the # of the pattern piece). Tissue paper worked fine, so it's just personal preference. The purchased product would last the longest if that's a factor.

jennifer winters 10-27-2011 07:26 PM

i fold my over and cut the size i want curse i just cut under the pattern this has work for me.

Rose L 10-27-2011 07:27 PM

I trace the size I need on another piece of paper. I use a marker that will write on waxed paper (not all of them do) and just tape pieces together until I have a piece of paper large enough. Then I put all the markings on the traced pieces, and the size, from the original pattern. I only sew for grand kids these days and since they are all so close in age, I often need to use two or three of the sizes on the pattern. When I'm done using the patterns I made I just fold them all together and put a post-it with the size and use a straight pin through the layers to keep them separate from the other sizes.

athomenow 10-27-2011 07:39 PM

I use cheap interfacing because it will hold up to multiple uses and you can fold it and put it in an envelope. It's easy to trace the pattern with a ballpoint pen. Works great.

tropit 10-27-2011 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow
I use cheap interfacing because it will hold up to multiple uses and you can fold it and put it in an envelope. It's easy to trace the pattern with a ballpoint pen. Works great.

Great idea!

~ C.

bluteddi 10-27-2011 07:56 PM

I fold over the pattern sometimes, but many small sizes or many curves are difficult , in that case I make a other paper pattern.