Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Frixxion Pens... a Re-visit to the topic (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/frixxion-pens-re-visit-topic-t163995.html)

Mamagus 10-28-2011 03:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We have had this discussion recently and I thought I'd up date you to as to an experience I had recently. Until now all experiences have been favorable.

I used a purple Frixxion to mark where the center was in my embroidery design space. After stitching I ironed the purple marks and they turned WHITE!

Here's a pic of what they look like. Hopefully they will wash out when Erin washes the apron for the first time!

MadQuilter 10-28-2011 03:53 PM

I read that the lines can come back under really cold conditions. Since quilts sort-of go hand in hand with cold conditions, I am a little leary of using them.

gale 10-28-2011 04:03 PM

I read that the lines can come back under really cold conditions.
But the lines here didn't require any conditions-it appears they actually removed color from the fabric.

I've been avoiding these pens for a few reasons. Now I have another. So sorry this happened to you, OP.

Candace 10-28-2011 04:14 PM

Yup, lots of people have posted about testing these pens with less than favorable results. I hope you can find a solution to your problem:< Worst case, send your pictures to the manufacturer and see what they say?

oksewglad 10-28-2011 04:48 PM

Bummer

QuiltnNan 10-28-2011 05:08 PM

:thumbdown:

Peckish 10-28-2011 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Worst case, send your pictures to the manufacturer and see what they say?

I would agree, except for the fact that the manufacturer did not design these pens specifically for fabric and quilting, so why would they care? (I'm not trying to be argumentative)

My problem is with the vendors I see at quilt shows who are selling these pens specifically for quilt marking, when they haven't been created for that purpose and no one knows if they're safe. When I discovered them over a year ago, and did some research, nowhere did I read that they are acid-free and archival, which is what killed the idea for me.

jaciqltznok 10-28-2011 05:28 PM

chemicals and fabrics..you just can't be too careful in avoiding putting them together...

keep us posted!

jaciqltznok 10-28-2011 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish

I would agree, except for the fact that the manufacturer did not design these pens specifically for fabric and quilting, so why would they care? (I'm not trying to be argumentative)

My problem is with the vendors I see at quilt shows who are selling these pens specifically for quilt marking, when they haven't been created for that purpose and no one knows if they're safe. When I discovered them over a year ago, and did some research, nowhere did I read that they are acid-free and archival, which is what killed the idea for me.

HERE< HERE>..this is one product that should NEVER be promoted for fabric!

CAS49OR 10-28-2011 05:46 PM

I definitely agree! I am new to quilting, and all things sewing actually, and trust the professionals I see at a quilt show, which is where I bought my pen. I thought they WERE designed specifically for fabric -- it's how the vendor sold them!

I'm glad I learned on a little piece of fabric (before quilting) and didn't mark up a whole quilt.

I just posted about this too:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-163965-1.htm#4581751

Originally Posted by Peckish