Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   what to do with old text books and other books? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-old-text-books-other-books-t164018.html)

kriscraft99 10-28-2011 05:18 PM

My brother passed away 3 1/2 years ago and my sister-in-law has started going through some of his items. He had a whole room full of books (he was a nuclear engineer). He read from sun up to sun down. She isn't sure what to do with all of these books. He was 55 so some are quite out-of-date. She is thinking of sending them to the local recycling center. Is there any where else?

Kris

carolaug 10-28-2011 05:20 PM

Many used book stores will take them and give you credit to buy other books. Or...you could donate them to the local library or college.

Murphy 10-28-2011 05:20 PM

If your local library has a book sale (ours does twice a year as a fund raiser) take them there for the sale. They are donations and you can get tax credit regardless of their age.
There are many people who want these old books and text books. If not your library, find one that does. They will love having them and it will help them raise funds for their collections.

QuiltnNan 10-28-2011 05:21 PM

you could check with the university library to see if any of them are worth keeping.

girliegirl 10-28-2011 05:22 PM

oh, don't recycle them! even the high school lib.

jaciqltznok 10-28-2011 05:26 PM

our Hospice has a book sale once year..it is HUGE Money maker...folks still collect old books...especially if they have any design plans, history, etc..

make some calls...try every civic group in town...and then suggest a sale to a scout troop if need be!

Lisanne 10-28-2011 06:04 PM

Even very old, outdated textbooks may have their uses. I'd check with some of those charities that send textbooks to places in third-world countries, for example.

You could also check with an antiquarian book dealer (preferably one that deals in academic books), an auction house, a book appraiser... it may be that most of them won't be worth anything, but one or two might be valuable.

icon17 10-28-2011 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
My brother passed away 3 1/2 years ago and my sister-in-law has started going through some of his items. He had a whole room full of books (he was a nuclear engineer). He read from sun up to sun down. She isn't sure what to do with all of these books. He was 55 so some are quite out-of-date. She is thinking of sending them to the local recycling center. Is there any where else?

Kris

Try 'Half Price Books' stores if you have them in your area.

kriscraft99 10-28-2011 06:47 PM

the problem is, she is ready to move these out. She has reached that point mentally and I'm scared if she has to make phone calls, wait for people to come get them, she will get frustrated. This is a big step for her but she isn't physically able to take them anywhere because there are so many.

By chance do any of you know any nuclear engineers in the South Carolina area that would be willing to pick them up?

dreamer2009 10-28-2011 06:57 PM

North Carolina State University
Department of Nuclear Engineering
2500 Stinson Drive, 3140 Burlington Eng. Labs
Raleigh, NC, USA 27695
919.515.2301 [ph] 919.515.5115 [fax] [email protected] [email]