Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   For or Against Trick or Treating?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/against-trick-treating-t164607.html)

mythreesuns 10-31-2011 06:06 AM

I so love this time of the year to see the little wonders of our life dressed in their little costumes. I can understand the entire candy thing..trying to get children in better healthy eating habits and such. The entire safety issue of trick or treating.. but so many areas are trying to stop it all together. I will surely miss it if they do here. They do ours on the Sunday afternoon that falls close to the 31st. I sit on my porch and watch all the kids walk by..all dressed up..either in store bought/homemade or just in mom and dads items. I love the creativity of it all. I do try to hand out healthier items, but it is costly where I live on a main street..we counted them yesterday.. 149 kids..would have been worse had it not started to rain 45 minutes into the start.

Murphy 10-31-2011 06:08 AM

Love trick or treat! Kids love this and I, like you, love to see the costumes and the anticipation on their faces.

mltquilt 10-31-2011 06:08 AM

My husband traveled for many years so I stopped doing Halloween because I did not want to be opening my door to strangers after dark and also the kids kept getting bigger and bigger. Our church does a festival most years and I work in that and supply candy.

mltquilt

mayday 10-31-2011 06:09 AM

HATE ,HATE,HATE it ,plse keep it othere, we have enough problems at bonfire night.

QuiltnNan 10-31-2011 06:11 AM

i guess i just don't like teaching kids to beg for handouts of something that is just not good for them. halloween does not seem like a happy holiday.... ghosts, ghouls, goblins, blood and gore. but i must be wrong, because halloween has turned into one of the major holidays of the year.

Michellesews 10-31-2011 06:14 AM

I would not want to take the fun of Halloween from children, because fun is all they know of it...and parties at schools and such I appove of...but the REAL Halloween message is not one I would want my kids to get...and trick or treating has become so dangerous, I do not approve of going door to door, for ANY reason: Girlscout cookie sales, or any other reason, too many threats out there for our young folk. Just my opinion.
Michelle

GABBYABBY 10-31-2011 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
i guess i just don't like teaching kids to beg for handouts of something that is just not good for them. halloween does not seem like a happy holiday.... ghosts, ghouls, goblins, blood and gore. but i must be wrong, because halloween has turned into one of the major holidays of the year.

You are not alone!!! Halloween is the worst holiday!!!
It teaches are children nothing about God and everything
that is evil. No wonder children are growing up without
respect for anything. And they are very selfish.

Enchanted Quilter 10-31-2011 06:19 AM

I love Halloween i always decorate my home ( for every occasion)I love to see the kids. The 1st year I lived in Porter I decorated my porch & yard. Had lots of little kids. Then the bell rang it was 3 teenage boys (new 2 of them) I ask what is your costume no costume no candy they laughed said we are cowboys. Well they did have on boots jeans & hats. Did look like cowboys .So gave them candy & a bag to carry it in. Next door bell ring 3 girls ask same question " we are teenagers girls they said see our blue & green & yellow hair " had to laugh on that one. But I always get these six kids, they will graduate this year. Wonder what they will be this year?????.

Sadiemae 10-31-2011 06:21 AM

The churches here have activities for kids, and the city does Truck or Treating. Kids haven't gone from house to house for several years.

luv-e 10-31-2011 06:24 AM

It is :( ............ Too bad they can't see how much fun we use to have????? and it was ALL evening too!!
I have had to stop handing out because of the problem of a child having another bag for a sick brother or sister.....
They are with mom and dad so who is caring for the child @ home???????????????? It was soooo bad the last yr I handed out candy that every other child had an extra BAG!!!
Gave ALL my decorations away.......They ruined it for me......