Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt as you go. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-you-go-t165362.html)

ashlett 11-03-2011 04:48 AM

Quilt as you go.

Any comments on this, I am thinking of doing it.

Dina 11-03-2011 05:02 AM

I have never done it, but I have seen it demonstrated. It looked pretty easy.

lucy78 11-03-2011 05:04 AM

try it , u might like it.

BKrenning 11-03-2011 05:10 AM

There are several different ways to QAYG. Which method were you going to try? I have sandwiched each block and quilted them then used sashing to put the quilted blocks together. You can also make your backing a little larger, quilt while piecing each block for some types of blocks like Log Cabin.

eparys 11-03-2011 05:16 AM

As BKrenning said - there are may methods of QAYG. I used the Betty Cotton method for a small quilt several years ago - it was not bad and turned out rather nicely. I have not however tried it on a larger project. It is fun and when you sew the last seam you are generally done.

dlong 11-03-2011 05:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I posted one a few days ago that I made from the Missouri Quilting Company on youtube done by Jenny. It was so quick and easy. My dh said he thought it was one of his favorite that I have done.

jeannie t 11-03-2011 05:32 AM

I haven't done one yet but am going to try the one where you make the backing a little larger after looking at some tutes that one seemed the easier method ,at lease I could understand that one Lol. thought I would start with a bed runner to see if I could do it,

SandySews 11-03-2011 05:38 AM

I've been thinking about trying this since it's somewhat difficult to manuever a queen sized quilt when quilting on my Bernina 440 when I'm working on the center part. Maybe I need to see a good tutorial on it.

Sierra 11-03-2011 05:39 AM

If you really want to move fast use 2-sided fusible fleece batting. First you iron the backing on, then you turn it over and add the front in lines (like putting 4 blocks across as a top row, then next row, etc.) or using strips of fabrics like dlong did with her black and red quilt. You sew the top of the strip down (from the top because the top edge will be under the binding) and carefully press it flat, sew the next strip, right side down, fold it down and press it, etc. I have a gently curved template I use to put in wavy lines from top to bottom (maybe 3 or 4, depending on width of quilt) and I like to use stars or some fun pattern for those quilting lines. If you have your colors and fabrics all ready you can make this quilt in very few hours; I think a "real" pro could do it in a single hour. I do these for "bus" quilts (for a boy's choir that uses a bus for tours and for resting between practices and jigs) and use music themes (frog bands, funky notes, etc). Fun and quick.

mltquilt 11-03-2011 05:41 AM

Took a class on the Cotton Theory on Monday at an LQS. The way the instructor showed us how to work on the piece had the larger part of the quilt always to the outside of the machine so there was no bulk. Did a practice piece, but still need to think on doing an actual quilt. One thing using the Cotton Method is you end up with a totally reversible quilt.

mltquilt